R: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [CS Bureau] Next GFC Meetings

Claudia Padovani claudia.padovani at unipd.it
Sat Jun 25 09:04:18 BST 2005

Ciao to all, I totally agree with Wolfgang about the need for a letter and
modalities and reference to principle 1 of the WSIS Declaration.
I think this could be an opportunity for us to stress the fact that in both
the Declaration and Plan of Action, as well as for some aspect in the
Implementation Plan under debate, very little is said about the actual role
of civil society as a stakeholder (while governments, IGOs and private
sector are indicted performing specific roles).

This means the rhetoric of the multi-stakeholder prevails still on the
substance and an in depth analysis of its implications (for actors as well
as for democratic processes). In this sense I believe we can refer to three
levels of democratic involvement: information, deliberation and
decision-making (on this last aspect I am not so convinced principle 1
states anything definitive...).

Seems like the last GFC meeting in June was pretty much an exchange of
information but also a deliberative setting. And it was fruitful. The idea
of being invited as observers to the next one was a way to keep at least the
information dimension alive. Stepping back from this is a major constrains.

We have several times mentioned the possibility to draw some guidelines, or
indicate some basics for multi-stakeholder practices, both in principles and
action. We could possibly use this opportunity to do this. Basic principles,
as Wolfgang reminds, are already there in the official documents; but
guidelines to turn these into reality would require another effort. I would
suggest among the things to demand:
To guarantee that at least the informational level of participatory practice
is respected, if the principle of multi-stakeholderism is to be meaningful;
To guarantee a sustained and fluent channel of communication between GFC, ES
and civil society (either through people directly involved in the EX or
through a mandate to Congo);
To guarantee that if civil society is not allowed to meetings not even as
observer, justification is given for this;
To ask for a more precise indication of what civil society "participation"
means in the context of the Plan of Implementation.
To push for commitment toward real multi-stakeholder modalities in regional
and national settings (and activities leading to Tunis)

Ciao
Claudia padovani