[WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: [governance] WG: Grey Smog over Chateau Bossey

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Jun 28 07:27:45 BST 2005

Thanks to Wolfgang and all the other CS members
of the WGIG.  Seems they have done a great job.
And we will find out for sure on or around July 1
when the report is published. Below, see
Wolfgang's comments on the report and timeline
from now.

There will be many things to discuss in the
report, and hope anyone interested will join
discussion on the governance list.  But one thing
we should agree on now is the need to guard
against the report being discussed in the typical
intergovernmental prepcom process, i.e. without
meaningful participation of civil society and
private sector. I (Adam) made a short statement
at the last WGIG meeting in Geneva (June 14) that
included text taken from the comments agreed and
read at PrepCom-2:

     "Regarding follow up of WGIG's final report,
negotiations must be conducted "in an open and
inclusive process that ensures a mechanism for
the full and active participation of governments,
the private sector and civil society from both
developing and developed countries" as stated in
the Geneva declaration of principles. The final
negotiated document MUST reflect and honour the
multi-stakeholder process that produced it."

Hope there is agreement to this, it should be the
basis of civil society's position on the WGIG
from now to PrepCom-3.

Thanks,

Adam and Jeanette, IG caucus coordinators