[WSIS CS-Plenary] format for Tunis Summit

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Mar 1 10:12:19 GMT 2005

Il giorno lun, 28-02-2005 alle 09:19 -0500, Rik Panganiban ha scritto:
> My comments:  If my math is correct, assuming an equal division of
> speaking times among civil society, the private sector and
> inter-governmental organizations, that adds up to 85 minutes of
> interventions from civil society during the entire General Debate. If
> we assume 3 minutes interventions each speaker, that would be about 28
> individual speaking slots for civil society.
>
> "Top-level speakers from organizations" I interpret to mean the
> Presidents and Secretary-Generals of accredited NGOs.  This is
> important to note, since for many of our organizations, our Presidents
> and Secretary-Generals might not be attending the Tunis Summit.  Or
> conversely, they might only chose to attend if they are speaking at
> the official plenary.

Given the way that we work, shouldn't we be going by caucuses/WGs,
rather than by NGOs? In that logic, "top-level speakers" might mean
caucus coordinators, or people suggested by the different caucuses.

Also, that might help in reaching consensus on speakers, as it's
possibly easier for organizations and individuals who participate in a
caucus to agree on an individual to represent all caucus participants,
rather than on an NGO to speak on behalf of all NGOs active in the
caucus.

And please... do not forget those of us who participate in the WSIS as
individuals. We already had to ask a favour to friends from accredited
NGOs just to be physically allowed in... I'm not sure about how many
others act as individuals, but, in the Internet world, people tend to
aggregate informally and to form flexible online groups, rather than to
incorporate NGOs.