[WSIS CS-Plenary] Overview article on Prepcom

Rainer Kuhlen rk_iw at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 19:32:04 GMT 2005

Thanks Sally for the report - only one remark (probably better be done
by Sean Ó Siochrú himself):

Under the header "Financial Mechanisms: no new commitments" you write
among other interesting points:
"A proposal put forward by the CRIS campaign, jointly with other
organizations, stated that information and communications and networks
should be considered a global public good; it emphasized the centrality
of the role of public finance in the area of Information and
Communications for Development; and underlined the role of community
driven and owned initiatives, in contributing to sustainable development
and social empowerment."

Networks cannot be considered public good. Sean himself wrote:

"The global communication network is not a ‘pure’ public good, but it
has one of its core characteristics. .... However, the /infrastructure
itself /is not a global public good, in that it is not difficult to
exclude people from using it, and in principle there are limits to usage
and it needs constant maintenance. Rather, the public good derives from
its use for communication purposes. ....."

this is exactly the point: communication constitutes and creates a
global public good, not ICT or networks do this.

Might be an important detail
RK
*
*