[WSIS CS-Plenary] "CS" press release

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 4 14:54:09 GMT 2005

In connection to the « CS » Press release
Meryem wrote
"I’m really wondering what’s going on with the CS at WSIS II"
To make it short : CONGO is attempting to take/maintain control of the CS in this decisive final phase up to the Tunis Summit.
Remember : We were told especially by Renate, to be brave contributors to the governments documents and not to deliver any statements on our opinions, general proposals or even criticisms. Word for word we used to hear Congo’s injunction : "the governments want us (sic!) to stick on the submitted documents and on the specific issues as they go along with dealing them". And the complementary injunction : "This is the only way for CS to be listened to".
I used to intervene after those statements in our CS plenaries or C&T meetings to declare that we are CS representatives, autonomous and sufficiently grown up for having our own ideas, to let them know to the PrepCom stakeholders and especially to the governments.
What’s more, most of us are given a mandate by our organisation(s) –not by CONGO nor by other organisations- to make our own proposals a priority. This gives us our status in the CS organisation and also dictates our commitments inside of it as well as inside the WSIS process.
So, Please, notice that we aren’t just gouvernments’ ghost writers : we do have good/best/most appropriate ideas and since the beginning of the WSIS process we are demonstrating by facts that this is still applying. The CS Geneva Declaration is one concrete application of that, even if some organisations such as CSDPTT didn’t endorse it for reasons that have been explained at this time.
Best
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT