[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Communiqué de Presse de la Société Civile

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Fri Mar 4 16:13:22 GMT 2005

Surely the real problem with all of this is the issue of who is Civil Society and how on earth can a small self-selected group such as those who have the time and resources to attend a two week conference in Geneva "represent" Civil Society in any meaningful way?

I'm not in anyway disparaging the capability or commitment of those who did attend but only to make the self-evident observation that Civil Society (however it is defined or constituted) is rather broader and more diverse than what is represented here and that the real issue remains how to provide a meaningful and effective voice for this "larger civil society" and some useful process of legitimation/accountability for those who are able/willing to become "representatives" for CS in forums such as the WSIS Prepcoms (and beyond?)!

It seems to me further, that there is a very real danger in the drive towards a "Multistakeholder" follow-up to WSIS. It seems likely on the basis of current practice, that this lack of legitimation and representativeness will in fact be perpetuated in this forum as well, with the result that the role of Governments as the democratically constituted (and thus formally "accountable" at least in theory) "representatives" of citizens are demoted to simply another stakeholder group (although what their "stakes" might be apart from representing their and their citizen's interests I'm rather loathe to contemplate); the private sector is of course "non-accountably" pursuing their interests; and these new CS stakeholders again without any formal structure of accountability or representativeness are meant to represent the interests of everyone else.

Hmmm... Quite honestly, I don't see this as any sort of advance, in fact given now-fading memories of mid-century European history I see significant dangers in this type of "multi-faceted" approach to "governance" issues.

Mike Gurstein

-----Original Message-----
From: plenary-admin at wsis-cs.org [mailto:plenary-admin at wsis-cs.org] On Behalf Of Rik Panganiban
Sent: March 4, 2005 3:58 PM
To: plenary at wsis-cs.org
Subject: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Communiqué de Presse de la Société Civile

Ralf, et al,

I will take some responsibility for the Press Release as it was drafted. Adina took on the difficult job of pulling together what input she received verbally and via email on Thursday and Friday, and worked hard to integrate it into a single, short press statement over the weekend. I received an early draft of it and should have alerted her to the problematic nature of drafting and getting approval for a "civil society press release." Instead I just word-smithed the draft and sent it back to her.

In retrospect, the most transparent and inclusive way this could have gone out was for it to either be simply a compilation of quotes from various sources, i.e.
- According to Ralf Bendrath of Boell Foundation, "This Prepcom was crap!."
- Anne-Marie on behalf of the Women's Caucus noted that "This was a complete waste of time!"
- Rikke of the Human Rights Caucus expressed her disatisfaction that "our views were ignored" etc.

And then have links to complete statements somewhere else on the web. Other coalitions and networks that I have been involved with have compiled press releases in this fashion. This neatly avoids the need to summarize the "view of civil society," which is kind of impossible.

Otherwise this should have gone out simply as a press release on behalf of the CS "secretariat" of CONGO / ICV / NGLS -- full stop.

My apologies for adding to any breakdown of our processes and trust.

Rik Panganiban
CONGO