[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS Peace Talks

Rui Correia r_correia at telkomsa.net
Fri Mar 4 16:22:27 GMT 2005

Dear All

Already a number of possible events have been mentioned that might take
place before PrepCom3.

I'd suggest that if big numbers of CS are already gathered ahead of PrepCom3
- or at least focal points/ senior members of caucuses, that we schedule in
a session on 'peace talks' so we can get to the bottom of this cloak and
dagger atmosphere that is poisoning the air. Already before PrepCom2, a lot
of animosity was flowing, loaded with accusations that were and are
detrimental to CS and its causes.

Differences of opinion are welcome and healthy and test our own mettle in
putting up a good fight. However, blatant accusations of jockeying for
position; acting out of personal interest (or worse: in the interest of
governments); personal secret agendas etc are damaging.

We all agree that a document sent out supposedly in the name of CS, and that
done without wide consultation was wrong. We have also heard not only the
reasons why this occurred (making it impossible or ill-advised to go through
wide consultation, given the urgency). We have also heard apologies and
admissions that it could have been done better.

What is missing now is an open admission that something is rotten in the
state of CS. As is the nature of politics, if fissures are not attended to,
these will become big breaches in our structures. In the end, we will be
acting in an environment of suspicion, not sharing our views and
lines-of-action for fear that we might be sleeping with the enemy. If unity
if strength, suspicion and vitriolic accusations will be the downfall.

Nobody will come out of this process famous, so it would pointless trying to
come out as an individual hero. WSIS is a test to see if CS can act as one
and fight as one (with differences) and come out as joint winners (alongside
governments and other stakeholders) at the end of the process.

Regards,

Rui Correia

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Media and Language Consultant