[WSIS CS-Plenary] "CS" Press release and CS-Private sector common statement

jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 4 19:04:11 GMT 2005

“CS” Press release and CS-Private sector statement

Dear all

I’m sorry to disagree with the opinions expressed by Parminder, Wolfgang and –at some extent- by Tracey.
Once again I stress the lack of open debate and even transparency in our CS “community (?)” during the past PrepCom. And the problems arising now –these two ones are just the top of the iceberg- are logical consequences of this regrettable lack.

I remember the daily CS Plenary meetings being reduced to “facilitating bodies” by our “chairs” and leading NGOs, CONGO included, at the very beginning of PrepCom-2. I therefore asked these “CS spin doctors” where would be the place and space for CS to discuss seriously and openly, and when we were to listen to and discuss on statements before they were presented on behalf of CS to the intergouvernmental Plenary. Unfortunately nobody was able to answer this essential question.
I also remember the memorable interventions by J.Y. Park at the Wednesday 23 CS C&T meeting, about the CS contributions inside the WGIG and IG Causus lacking some basic CS concerns such as i.a. Human rights and gender issues. She had to face rather hostile people especially members of the Internet gouvernance Caucus or of the WGIG itself. For me the outcome of this distorted mini-debate is still not clear, and an actual and open debate on this topic of paramount importance has to take place as soon as possible in the CS plenary, virtual or real, i.e. before July when the Report is due to be handed over to the SMSI Secretariat. I stress that we as CS don’t only need experts in Internet technical and management issues, but also people who are really aware of some most important cross-cutting themes and issues such as those mentioned above. BTW, some of CS members involved in these IG working groups and lobbies are also professionals in this sector and therefore may have some personal interests ? This reminds me also the “CS-Private Sector joint statement”
.
So, please, beware of publishing “CS statements” of any format on Internet gouvernance (and other sensitive/important topics such as CS-PS common statements), without a clear and open debate inside the relevant caucuses and with an appropriate information given to the CS organisations and members.

Best
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT