[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] "CS" Press release and CS-Private sector common statement

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 4 19:39:22 GMT 2005

Dear Jean-Louis, et al,

I think we can all agree that we did not have enough opportunities,
meeting space and interpretation facilities to allow for the kind of
serious discussions and debates on the essential political and
strategic issues facing civil society.  The linguistic barrier in
particular is a very significant one that none of us have the resources
or staff to totally overcome, unfortunately.  Instead we were limited
to the somewhat bureaucratic "reporting back" from the various caucuses
and meetings that took place and deciding on who would speak the
following day.  None of us were entirely happy with this arrangement.

On the other hand, Prepcom II was not all bad, in my opinion.
Caucuses, working groups, and individual organizations were able to
make statements, draft text, and lobby for their positions with
governments.  We had the most success when we were able to reflect the
diversity of our views, and we had the least success when we had to
decide on one statement or one position on behalf of civil society.
This is not surprising.

The Working Methods Working Group, which is open to all, has high on
its agenda the functioning and structure of Content and Themes, where a
lot of these issues arise.  We can continue to labor over these issues
on the plenary list, but meanwhile the WMWG will try and come up with
some concrete recommendations on these exact issues we have been
discussing: How does C&T make decisions?  What is the composition of
C&T? What is its mandate? Etc.

Ultimately, we have procedural issues and we have issues of trust.
Where there is the perception that trust has been broken, people feel
hurt, angry, and more distrustful.  We need to physically meet and
discuss these issues, not only to find better ways to work together,
but also to build / re-build trust in each other.  It's hard to build
trust and friendship over email.

In Peace,

Rik Panganiban

On Mar 4, 2005, at 2:04 PM, jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr wrote:

> “CS” Press release and CS-Private sector statement
>
> Dear all
>
> I’m sorry to disagree with the opinions expressed by Parminder,
> Wolfgang and –at some extent- by Tracey.
> Once again I stress the lack of open debate and even transparency in
> our CS “community (?)” during the past PrepCom. And the problems
> arising now –these two ones are just the top of the iceberg- are
> logical consequences of this regrettable lack.
>
> I remember the daily CS Plenary meetings being reduced to
> “facilitating bodies” by our “chairs” and leading NGOs, CONGO
> included, at the very beginning of PrepCom-2. I therefore asked these
> “CS spin doctors” where would be the place and space for CS to discuss
> seriously and openly, and when we were to listen to and discuss on
> statements before they were presented on behalf of CS to the
> intergouvernmental Plenary. Unfortunately nobody was able to answer
> this essential question.
> I also remember the memorable interventions by J.Y. Park at the
> Wednesday 23 CS C&T meeting, about the CS contributions inside the
> WGIG and IG Causus lacking some basic CS concerns such as i.a. Human
> rights and gender issues. She had to face rather hostile people
> especially members of the Internet gouvernance Caucus or of the WGIG
> itself. For me the outcome of this distorted mini-debate is still not
> clear, and an actual and open debate on this topic of paramount
> importance has to take place as soon as possible in the CS plenary,
> virtual or real, i.e. before July when the Report is due to be handed
> over to the SMSI Secretariat. I stress that we as CS don’t only need
> experts in Internet technical and management issues, but also people
> who are really aware of some most important cross-cutting themes and
> issues such as those mentioned above. BTW, some of CS members involved
> in these IG working groups and lobbies are also professionals in this
> sector and therefore may have some personal interests ? This reminds
> me also the “CS-Private Sector joint statement” ….
> So, please, beware of publishing “CS statements” of any format on
> Internet gouvernance (and other sensitive/important topics such as
> CS-PS common statements), without a clear and open debate inside the
> relevant caucuses and with an appropriate information given to the CS
> organisations and members.
>
> Best
> Jean-Louis Fullsack
> CSDPTT

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524