[WSIS CS-Plenary] FW: Communiqué de Presse de la Société Civile

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Tue Mar 8 14:47:13 GMT 2005

Carlos/Diego/and all,

Simultaneous with the PrepCom in Geneva, I was attending a regional conference (that I was a contributing organizer to) of those active in Community ICTs in the Pacific Region of Canada with a number of other groups also participating.  http://www.2005summit.ca/

There were in the end, some 500+ people attending, including perhaps 1/3rd who were Canadian First Nations (aboriginal) and thus representing Canada's most marginalized citizens.

The framing concepts of the discussions were two:
	the real changes and extended opportunities that ICTs were bringing about in communities large and small and particularly rural and remote throughout the region and the profound sense of optimism concerning the empowerment towards community transformation which this was providing

	the continuing process of reduction (towards elimination in one year) of Canadian Federal Government support for these initiatives and how to respond to this.

I organized a session on WSIS and particularly the possible intervention by Canadian CS in the WSIS process during the conference.  The overwhelming reaction was negative both by those few attending who had had any involvement as well as the others who had little or no information on or involvement in the WSIS process.

Certainly there seemed to be no elements either of the official or of the CS activities around WSIS that were such as to stimulate or enable an engagement with the WSIS process by these community activists.  It is quite telling that almost the only linkage between the attendees at the Vancouver conference and the WSIS I event was that several had been brought over by the Canadian Government to be displayed as "best practices" in the accompanying ICT4D trade show.

The possible connection between the elimination of financial support for these programs (which it should be noted will impact most directly on the most vulnerable in the society) and the global processes of WSIS in which the Canadian Government is a very active participant seems invisible to all.

(As an aside, it is now the case that the progress of e-Government within Canada is such that welfare applications in certain provinces can only be obtained by downloading forms from the Internet.  The elimination of the funding for public access identified above will precisely impact most directly on those public access sites which are used by many to undertake these kinds of required activities. It should also be noted that quite parallel processes are at work in the US and Australia with the parallel elimination of public funding in support of broad community access.)

Okay, what's the point...

Well the point is that the issues of the Global Information Society are real, they impact the lives of those living in real communities in both the South and the North, those with whom CS should/could be engaging are not being engaged, the opportunities for achieving international solidarity (peer to peer connections) around issues of concern and interest to both the North and the South are not being realized, and one wonders whether the current CS efforts to engage as "stakeholders" in these processes will help to resolve or to exacerbate these issues in the absence of some effective linkage with, if not representation by those on the ground being immediately impacted by ICT developments.

Best,

Mike Gurtein