[WSIS CS-Plenary] Forward: 'Weep for Kenya' Kenya WSIS CS Caucus

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Thu Mar 10 17:08:02 GMT 2005

World Summit on the Information Society

Kenya Civil Society Caucus

Press Release

For Immediate Release

Tuesday March 8, 2005

The Kenya WSIS Civil Society Caucus expresses dismay at the disbanding
of
the Board of the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) and the
suspension
of its Director General, Sammy Kirui.

We see this as an undemocratic method of dealing with sensitive issues
of
national development and economic importance. This action by the
Minister
for Information and Communications Hon Tuju is in breach of the trust
and
weakens the growing multi-stakeholder involvement in the ICT Policy
process
that has been underway in Kenya since the turn of the millennium. We
see Mr
Kirui as a well-respected champion of the telecommunications and
broadcasting sector whose dismissal is a real loss to the country.

The Communications Commission of Kenya is an independent regulator with
the
mandate to license and regulate telecommunications, radio communication
and
postal services in Kenya. It is our belief that abrupt, unceremonious
disbandment of the Board of a major national regulatory body is a poor
example of good governance and it undermines and weakens a key national
institution of international significance.

This action is autocratic and highlights the urgent need for an open
regime
of real “access to information” and the national ICT policy.  In
addition
relevant legislation as well as a regulatory framework is desperately
required. For only when the adequate laws governing the
telecommunications
sector are respected, would civil society organizations as well as all
Kenyan citizens be protected from the undemocratic tendencies of
government
officials.

.

So far no causes or reasons whatsoever have been given for this dramatic
action, although a whiff of impropriety and scandal appear to have been
unleashed. In our considered opinion, an administration already shaken
by
allegations of corruption does not need this.

The honourable minister’s actions have thrown the civil society into
disarray. For several years a dedicated band of several stakeholders
have
worked very hard to develop an open and productive relationship with
respective government functionaries and policymakers and the CCK in
particular. By this action, the honourable minister has sown the seeds
of
alienation and   powerlessness

We take this opportunity to remind the government of Kenya that the
foundation of a sound democracy is a well-informed citizenry. The right
information is a fundamental human right and demand that the reasons
for the
termination of the Board and Director General of the CCK be made public
if
adequately and legally investigated and the culpable be dealt with
through
the due process of the laws. In the absence of this we pray that they be
reinstated and a process of transparent and legal investigation
commenced
without delay.

James Nguo

Kenya WSIS Civil Society Caucus

A. Wanjira Munyua
National Coordinator, Catalysing Access to ICTs in Africa (CATIA)
Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
alice at apc.org
http://www.apc.org
http://www.catia.ws