[WSIS CS-Plenary] Global Alliance: Consultation

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Mar 14 16:18:28 GMT 2005

Il giorno dom, 13-03-2005 alle 23:04 -0500, Rik Panganiban ha scritto:
> As I see it, our job at this point is to conceive of what we would see
> as the most acceptable and functional and democratic Global Alliance
> structure that we would endorse?

I think that we need to build structures where civil society
participates as itself - that is, as an open coalition of organizations
and individuals that anyone is free to join, and in which everyone has
the same weight in determining positions and statements. In this case,
and assuming that this Global Alliance has a sort of "executive body" of
limited membership, we must be free of choosing our own representatives,
once we sort out which is the best way to do so.

The only alternate option is for civil society organizations to be
directly members of the Alliance... but that would, in my opinion,
destroy most of our credibility, in the sense that we would possibly be
unable to talk with one voice.

I know that it is hard to come to agreement among all different souls of
our activism, but if we could do so I think we would be highly rewarded
in terms of actual influence over things.