[WSIS CS-Plenary] Global Alliance: Consultation

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Tue Mar 15 00:44:09 GMT 2005

Rik and all,

Thanks very much for helping to clarify what constitutes the "Global
Alliance" at this point. I agree with you that more information needs
to emerge and more consultation has to occur (especially among
members of CS) before any decisions are taken. And, I'm pleased to
hear that it appears as though organizations will likely individually
endorse this alliance if it comes to pass.

Respectfully, I'd like to add something that is meant to supplement
your future-oriented suggestions, not to undercut them. And, this
invokes the only disagreement that I have with what you've observed
below: the idea that the canvas is empty. I think that we need to be
cognizant of the information that has emerged already in addition to
that which will do so in the future. Among this information is the
following:

1. if the Global Alliance is to include the private sector,
represented by the CCBI, "the voice of business" at the WSIS, the
CCBI/ICC will eschew any arrangement that calls for monitoring,
mandatory accountability and reporting of the full results of
public-private partnership initiatives, adherence to a mandatory code
of conduct, and so on. This has been the position of ICC all along in
respect to the Global Compact, and the CCBI has made it clear in
several venues that they will comply with what they described as a
"digital global compact" only if every element of engagement is
entirely voluntary. "Voluntary" allows such compacts/alliances to
work quite effectively as a form of public relations ("bluewashing"
as some call it in the context of the UN), but there is little
evidence that corporations that have signed such voluntary agreements
have complied with the various principles of the compacts (in the
case of the Global Compact: human rights, labor, and environment
issues). One other likelihood based on history: the UN will find
among CS entities partners who will collaborate on this Global
Alliance--no question--and it's not likely that those of us who wish
to see transparency and accountability mandated will ever share a
vision with such CS entities so the idea that there will ever be a
"we" that finds some version of a Global Alliance acceptable is not
likely to be realized.

2. So, why is it important to know what information is available now,
rather than wait for it to emerge? Please--and I'll be as brief as
possible--allow me to use an example from my research involving
public-private partnerships and the "corporatization of development."
I want to use the case of Cisco Systems, the leader in the router
industry that is perhaps best known to many of us as the benefactor
of a number of programs: the Gender Initiative, the Least Developed
Countries Initiative, partner with the ITU on Internet training
centers, sponsor of NetAid, signatory to the Electronics Industry
Code of Conduct, etc. While it may be fairly easy to see how Rio
Tinto Mining Company, Unilever, and Royal Dutch Shell have been "bad
actors" as signatories to the Global Compact, and badly hurting the
reputations of NGOs that have made deals with them (Amnesty
International, World Wildlife Federation, etc.), how could it be that
a seemingly progressive router-making corporation could wreak havoc
on a Global Alliance (and Cisco is sure to be a signatory if this
alliance takes off as a voluntary endeavor)? Three problems with
Cisco are most apparent: 1) the corporation sells itself to the UN
and to "least developed countries" as a kind of angel investor, while
addressing itself to the business world in a very different way:
essentially, by making the case that the lack of networking
professionals in the world is driving up wages, so that the various
Cisco Networking Academy Programs (CNAPs) will create more networking
professional and therefore suppress wages. 2) that although Cisco
offers a module on the fundamentals of network technology, it
otherwise only teaches modules based on its proprietary hardware and
software, thus creating a captive labor and consumer force that uses
Cisco products and only Cisco products. 3) that Cisco Systems is
teaching women in the Women and Gender Studies Program at Makerere
University in Uganda how to make routers, be network troubleshooters,
etc.; in the end Makerere University must make its own decisions, and
I realize that my privilege in respect to resources, but I don't know
of anyone who would agree that teaching women how to make routers is
a method for empowering women within Women's Studies program (which
is to say that the Global South shouldn't be considered the
laboratory for vocational training, at the expense of education).

But, there is one more point, and it's perhaps the most serious of
all: 4) When we think of defense contractors, we don't think of Cisco
Systems. Yet, in May 2000, Cisco Systems made an alliance with
Lockheed Martin, to incorporate Cisco's "technology solutions" into
Lockheed's government bids. Most of us know that Lockheed is a
defense contractor; I would imagine that few know of Cisco's role in
this consortium, although Cisco does have an Army division and a
Global Defense and Space Group. The Lockheed-Cisco partnership is
meant to develop approaches to "net-centric warfare." You don't hear
the name "Cisco" mentioned when defense contractors such as Lockheed
Martin beat the drums for the war, as when the company's former VP
Bruce Jackson co-chaired the Coalition for the Liberation of Iraq
prior to the invasion. That's because Cisco is "smuggled in" under
the Lockheed Martin military contracts. Most recently, Cisco has been
instrumental in the US Army's Warfighter Information Network-Tactical
(WIN-T) program (under a Lockheed Martin bid of course). WIN-T is
meant to create a "war infosphere" to support US dominance in the
Middle East and elsewhere. Although WIN-T's rewards aren't expected
to be realized until several years from now, the Army's Third
Battalion in Iraq is being used as a kind of guinea pig for this
project involving the "leveraging of technology" in wartime.

So, if like most of the world, CS actors are not supporting the Iraq
war, is it appropriate to make alliances with Cisco Systems? That's
for each organization to decide, I suppose. But it is important that
we know, not that we're sleeping with strange bedfellows, but how
strange are the bedfellows with which we are sleeping. I'm well aware
that some on this list believe that I have some simplistic notion of
"evil corporations." In fact, I don't believe in evil because the
idea removes the element of human agency. I'm sure that many
employees of Cisco Systems and many representative of the CCBI are
fine people, doing their best within a certain ideological framework
to support human rights, gender equality, and so on. But, they're
representing a particularly contradictory element that is
characteristic of these neoliberal times, where human/communication
rights discourse is available to everyone and has become useful for
corporations precisely because it *can* be useful for neoliberalism.

My question is how are we going to differentiate ourselves (if there
remains a "we") from the various missionaries for global capitalism.
That's what I'd like to address in respect to the question of a
Global Alliance.

With apologies for an overly-long message and best regards,

Lisa