[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS Input to WGIG: Next Steps

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Wed Mar 16 09:50:50 GMT 2005

Hello Nabil,

Issue cluster 3 is defined in the secretariat's paper as, "Issues which are
relevant to the Internet, but with impact much wider than the Internet,
where there are existing organisations responsible for these issues."
Included under this category is an item, "freedom of information and media,"
which would presumably be the place for such filtering to be discussed.  Of
course, whether in fact one can really say "there are existing organisations
responsible for" these issues at present is somewhat debatable.

It would be very useful if people who are especially interested in these
issues could provide WGIG with some formal inputs, e.g. looking at the
strengths/weaknesses of existing collective governance mechanisms applicable
to speech & human rights, including in relation to the DoP criteria.  I
think it's fair to say that there is no consensus within WGIG on how to
address these matters.  In fact, at present there is some discussion about
whether we should have a separate issue paper on free expression or whether
it should be treated one of many horizontal dimensions.  Either way, one
would hope that CS could provide some support, especially since not all WGIG
members view this as a fundamental priority.

Best,

Bill