[WSIS CS-Plenary] no short cuts to progress

Loe Schout loe at hivos.nl
Fri Mar 18 08:26:49 GMT 2005

Dear Anriette,

Very good, your letter. I fully agree with it.. This whole Economist and
other scepticial thinking comes from a rather simplistic view on
development. As if development is as simple as a matter of choosing
between housing, health, education OR pc's/internet/mobile phones. But
there are no short cuts to progress. Anyone involved for some time in
development work/activities knows that  development is a complicated,
multi-layer and  political & cultural  process with many different
actors. In this process access to information and communication is
playing a crucial role. It is there where appropriate (old and new)
technology can make the difference.

Loe Schout
head of ICT & knowledge sharing desk
Hivos

Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:

>Below is a letter sent to the Economist in response to the 'digital divide'
>article.
>
>To the Editor, Economist

>"The Real Digital Divide" correctly asserts that this divide is merely a
>symptom of deeper, more important divides. However, the article has
>two serious flaws.
>
>Firstly, it falls into the 'generalisation' trap. It assumes that solutions
>that worked well in one context will necessarily work well everywhere.
>
>Mobile phones are NOT always the cheapest or best way to provide
>telephony, especially to poor and rural populations. Newer and
>cheaper technologies such as WiFi, WiMax, CorDECT and VOIP
>(voice over internet protocol) could prove far more cost effective, and
>they have the added advantage of providing data services such as
>internet.    Furthermore, sparsely populated rural regions are proving
>less attractive to mobile providers, and the growth rate in network
>coverage (as distinct from subscribers) is slowing down, long before it
>reaches many of the poorest people.
>
>Secondly, why does the author conclude from the undisputed value of
>mobile telephony that other new technologies are superfluous in
>addressing development challenges?
>
>People living in the developed world's lives have been transformed by
>the power of the internet in multiple dimensions: work, social
>connectivity, banking, entertainment, political debate.  They live in a
>context of increasing access and efficiency.  Why deny these benefits
>to developing countries and the poor?  Avoiding the infrastructure and
>capacity development challenges of introducing these technologies to
>developing countries is NOT an effective response to growing
>inequities.
>
>Digital inclusion is not simply about access to computers or the
>internet, it is about not being left behind when such far-reaching
>institutional changes are revolutionizing every aspect of social and
>economic life.
>
>Regarding regulatory approaches, it is now widely acknowledged,
>including by the World Bank that the market alone is not sufficient,
>especially in remote and rural areas and poorer populations.   There is
>a major role for investment and regulation in the public interest, in an
>environment that is increasingly horizontally segmented between local
>access networks, backbone providers, and service providers.
>
>The need for universal service access funds is widely accepted. But
>current thinking is now considering ways of providing wholesale
>bandwidth, where a single provider, publicly-owned or in consortium,
>sells backbone bandwidth cheaply and transparently to all. At local
>level, community-owned networks already exist from Poland to
>Argentina - following the lead of the USA where over 500 local rural
>telephony cooperatives have flourished for decades and now provide
>broadband.   The point here is not to say that competition does not
> [...]

This footnote confirms that this email has been swept
by the latest anti-virus software for the presence of
computer viruses.                             - Hivos