AW: Individuals and organizations (was Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] format for Tunis Summit)

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Mar 18 13:54:19 GMT 2005

Dear Vittorio and others,

if you discuss the role of speakers, you should include not only who represents whom but to whom a speaker speaks. A speaker has first of all to serve the audience and with regard to speakers from civil society it should be the greater public. The main question should be who can serve this function best.

But let me add some more ideas. Your discussion has to be seen against a broader background. It is certainly true that the Internet infrastructure has enabled the emergence new constituencies which do not fit in the scheme of legally recognized organisations of the industrial age. The UN is an organisation of the industral age and WSIS, at least in my eyes, is something like a laboratory for the UN system to investigate where a bridge could be build to reach the information age. Insofar we are in the early days of a far reaching global transformation process where we all are becoming neighbors, one click away.

What we witness as "technological revolution" takes place as "social and economic evolution". We have to understand that the new factors to not substitute the old factos but are complementary. The "new"  is not really new but more an additional layer which brings more complexity, choices, opportunities and controversies to the real life. If civil society wants to play a role in this process, it needs both the understanding of the "old principles" and the creativity for the "new principles".

In the early days of ICANN, the corporation was sometimes labeled as the "United Nations of the Information Age". This was totally wrong. What ICANN could become is the "United Constituencies of the Internet Age". Like the concept of "nations" emerged after the Westphalian Peace of 1648 and the first wave of the industrial revolution, the concept of "constituencies" is emerging after the end of the cold war and the "information revolution" with the Internet at its center. Members of a constituency are not treated primarily according to the citizenship or the territory where they operate (like members of a nation), but they do also speak - like members of a nation - very often the same (technical) language, have common interests, share a common history etc. ICANN could never be a substitute for the UN like the present intergovernmental UN should not be allowed to be the representative of the "United Constituencies". What we need is a new co-regulatory model, where nations and constituencies, that is different stakeholders, can interact in a way that human rights and cultural diversity, economic growth and social development is promoted on a global level. For this an new innovative governance model is needed sooner or later.

This is not so totally new. In the early days of the industrial revolution we had a similar problem, where the "old system" - the king - was confrotned with a new system - the parliament. The co-regulatory compromise at this time was the "constitutional monarchy" which paved the way - at least in the North - to the "social welfare system" later.

While we need to manage the day to day challenges, we should have a greater vision also in our minds and should adjust  individual issues (and ambitions) according to this broader criteria.

best

wolfgang