[WSIS CS-Plenary] Internet governance, Microsoft and IPTV

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Mar 24 21:02:58 GMT 2005

Not a very "full" report. Possibly a big exaggerated. It looks like
it's part of the telco operators' plans to get into video on demand. But
telcos only control about 1/3 of the broadband Internet market in the US
(most people here use cable modems). What with the consolidation of
telephone companies these days it's possible that a deal with Verizon,
BellSouth and SBC could actually deliver 75% of the lines, but it would
take a lot more than that for MS to "dominate" IPTV. Personally, I'd be
more concerned about the concentration of the access market than with
the back office software the phone companies use for IPTV.

>>> sbuckley at gn.apc.org 3/24/2005 10:49:23 AM >>>
Full report:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?&id=748

        Please note my new contact details:
                          Steve Buckley
  15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield S1 2BX - U.K.
              Email: sbuckley at gn.apc.org
                    Tel: +44 114 220 1426