[WSIS CS-Plenary] summit - expectations - who's coming...

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Mon May 2 11:01:26 BST 2005

Dear Francis,

Le dimanche, 1 mai 2005, à 17:48 Europe/Paris, Dr. Francis MUGUET a
écrit :

> Dear Meryem
>
> There are many wild rumors floating around in Tunis as you know full
> well.

This is exactly the reason why I commented and I asked for more
precisions. Disseminating the "news" that all Tunis and suburbs hotels
(an all in all capacity of about 19.000 beds, not rooms) are already
booked and suggesting that it may occur that extra people would be
lodged in Hammamet (60 kms from Tunis, 70 from the WSIS place) may well
have been a "good idea" with a twofold objective:
(1) disseminating the rumor that thousands of people have already made
their plans to attend, the message being "hurry up" for those who have
not yet done this. The expected result being to actually reach at least
part of the alleged current situation
(2) starting to have civil society accepting the idea to be lodged far
from the WSIS site

This is the reason why I recommend that people like you, who are told
by whoever - not necessarily officials, some people may well be "plus
royaliste que le roi", as we say in French - this kind of rumor, should
be a bit cautious before disseminating it in its turn as a factual
information (or understood as such: I'm by no mean saying that you did
that on purpose).

Regarding Sharon having been invited, the answer is "yes" to your 2
questions:
- Yes, Sharon has been directly and personally invited by President Ben
Ali
- Yes, Israel being one of the United Nations States, its Prime
minister or any other representative of Israel may attend a UN Summit
wherever it takes place, without any direct invitation by the host
country.

I don't want either to discuss this issue on this list, which is not
really the relevant place to do so. Those interested in my own opinion
may read it (in French) at:
http://www.alternatives-citoyennes.sgdg.org/num15/dossier-w.html
What I mentioned in my message is that this invitation has caused
important street demonstration in Tunisia and important repression as a
follow-up. And if Sharon himself - an important part of the problem, as
I see it, is Sharon himself, much more than an israeli representative,
given his personal record as a killer (I should say a butcher) - indeed
attend the Tunis Summit (as the israeli press reported), then we should
be aware of that and of the consequences on the situation in Tunisia
during the Summit, not only regarding security checks and blocking of
streets, but also regarding the final decision of Tunisian independent
civil society w.r.t. to boycott, and consequently the position of
international CS.

Best,
Meryem
PS. And no, Monastir is not only a tourist place (like in other
Tunisian towns, people are studying and working there...)
PS2. I'm not sure I like your statement about the tourist industry and
"what a big business opportunity that this  WSIS is going to generate
!". After all, this has been exactly the same big opportunity for the
economy in Geneva for the 1st phase, as well as in any other big
international event organized anywhere, be it a UN Summit or the world
olympic games: all countries are fighting for that (e.g. Paris for the
2012 Olympics). I think there is a need here to make a clear
distinction between Tunisian authorities very bad records on human
rights (which indeed we should fight) and inappropriate - and somewhat
condescending - arguments like the one you made. Sorry to be so direct,
but sometimes it seems relevant to recall that Tunisia is not only its
governement...