[WSIS CS-Plenary] who is attending?: WSIS Asia Pacific meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun May 22 10:39:39 BST 2005

I believe ESCAP has been reluctant to involve civil society in the
regional process since the summit.  The first couple of regional
meetings were intergovernmental, some of the sub-regional meetings
then made a rather weak attempt at including CS.  There was no
significant effort, even for the Tehran meeting, to involved CS in a
substantive way.

However, after skimming (and light skimming at that) the draft
declaration and plan of action, those document look OK.  Need to read
them carefully and will do that. See
<http://www.unescap.org/icstd/events/WSIS_2nd_Phase/tehran_conf.asp>

I've been working with UNDP APDIP on their Internet governance
project <http://igov.apdip.org>. The project report will be a major
part of the Tehran  documents.  In it's current form it should be
acceptable to Civil Society.

Of course we don't know what might change when govt. get together and
work with those drafts in Tehran. Main threat I think comes from the
possibility of local quasi-NGOs packing the halls and being used to
undermine important civil society positions.  Not sure how to stop
that, except to perhaps note our concerns to WSIS secretariat and
President.

Adam