[WSIS CS-Plenary] "Evaluation" and the WSIS Outcomes

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Thu Nov 3 14:56:56 GMT 2005

The documents which will be discussed in the next round of negotiations
concerning the final declaration have recently been circulated on this
list by Renata.

Attached with this note please find some suggested revisions to DT26
(Rev2) #30-33 which I am currently circulating among various grass-roots
and aboriginal ICT4D networks and sympathetic governments for support.
(I've attached the original as well for comparison...

The intention of the proposed changes is to supplement the current
approach to evaluation which is exclusively top-down and
national/multilateral policy oriented to one which allows for bottom-up
input into the identification of areas for analysis, the indicators, and
the methods for data collection as well as providing a means to ensure
that whatever "evaluation" that is done contributes to the on-going
development of that which is being evaluated.  (I've also attempted pace
Claudia Padovani's proposal to tweak these clauses to introduce and
support the notion of on-going monitoring by CS.)

Comments/criticisms/suggestions are welcome...

Also, if any on this list are in a position to move these suggestions
forward in the negotiations that would be appreciated.  This note is
also being sent to selected national delegations where support might be
found.

Best,

Mike Gurstein