PS Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: btw

KovenRonald at aol.com KovenRonald at aol.com
Mon Nov 7 17:21:15 GMT 2005

PS, Prof. Vincent --

On the matter you mention of the International Organization of Journalists,
it is a matter of record that that international journalists association never
lifted a finger in defense of the hundreds of Czechoslovak journalists purged
and forced into menial jobs after Soviet tanks repressed the Prague Spring .
(Kaarle Nordenstreng actually apologized for that after the collapse of the
Czechoslovak Communist government.)

It is a matter of record that after the change in regime the top Czechoslovak
leaders of the IOJ were convicted and jailed for running various illegal
rackets to help finance the IOJ, including a smuggling ring to bring in Western
electrical appliances for the benefit of the local Nomenklatura.

The IOJ simply collapsed after the collapse of the Soviet Union because it
lost its source of confidential subsidies.

If you had been reading the official publications of the IOJ before that, as
I was, you would never have found any deviation from the Soviet official line.
On the contrary, the line was celebrated.

As for rhetorical tricks, I never saw a better one than Kaarle Nordenstreng's
issuing of a declaration that the International Federation of Journalists
explicitly rejected. Kaarle had it printed up with a list of the organizations
"present" when it was adopted, in an obvious attempt to create the impression
that it had approved a Soviet-line statement.

I could go on. But such facts are very inconvenient.

Sincerely, Ronald Koven