[WSIS CS-Plenary] Resumed PrepCom-3 in Tunis - Sub-Committees A and B

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Wed Nov 9 12:13:59 GMT 2005

Jean-Louis,

I disagree with your approach. We just can't dismiss one group or
another and nominate new people because we know them. to do so, does
not take into consideration the many lessons learned to-date.

If we have learned anything, it is that openings and/or roles for CS
needs to be done in a very clear and transparent fashion. The CSB was
captured because it was not conceived and run in a transparent and
accountable fashion. That being said, there are a few of us on the
CSB that are trying quite hard to help and really do a job to help
and liase with others.

Reviewing the structures as well as the people involved is a good thing.
I would suggest the following process:

*  the exact roles and responsibilities need to be defined
* language skills are essential.
* appropriate Resources and funding needs to be allocated
* considerations need to be taken so that disadvantaged groups - such
as gender, youth, disabled and indigenous communities are involved in
the process.
* Gender,  and regional balance (in case there is more than one
person) should always be achieved.
* An open call, one where those with appropiate skills could apply.
* Candidates must fully disclose background and existing positions -
I mention this, as it is the case now that at least 1 if not 2 of the
CSB members are also members of the Tunisian parliament. A fact they
have, rapidly failed to make public.

in summary -  We just should't nominate people because we think we
know them. we should follow a process and give a chance to the cs
community as a whole. To not do so would not be consistent with CS
values of inclusion, transparency, accountability and gender equality.

regards,

Robert

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>