[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS.TV TUNIS.TV P2Ptelevision.net first public annoucement.

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Sat Nov 12 22:54:58 GMT 2005

Hello everybody

As an example of how Free Software can contribute
to shape the Information Society we announce
the launch of the sites WSIS.TV  & TUNIS.TV
http://www.wsis.tv & http://www.tunis.tv
as content projects
that are related to the Software & Content
project http://www.P2Ptelevision.net.

The interest of this new technology is that
is going to empower people to broadcast
content without the need of possess
a high bandwith server, through the use
of the P2P technology.
A P2P technology such as BitTorrent is
the software embodiment of a participatory
process whereby each TV watcher is helping
other TV watchers to gain access to content.

It could be the start of a new era for
content broadcasting, bypassing existing
monopolies, bringing effective freedom and
breaking economical barriers.

In a nutshell, the RSS + P2P BitTorrent technology
is combined to recreate the experience of a TiVO
( a DVR very popular in the US ) more like
a DVR than exactly a TV.
In a way, it is also a step beyond Video blogging.
It is not streaming, so there will be a time delay
before the recording become available, but
yet automatically recorded content will be available immediately.
see http://www.P2Ptelevision.net
and http://www.P2Pscience.org for tech infos and all
links for the projects that are mentionned below.

Concerning this technology that came into the scene really
in mid-August, there are basically two proprietary projects :
Popcast and Videora, and two GPL projects.
the Participatory Politics project and P2Ptelevision.net,
our project.
the  Participatory Politics project features a server called
BM and a client called DTV.
DTV is currently available for MAC/OSX only, GNU/Linux
and Windows versions are scheduled.
Our project, initiated by Francis Muguet,
  features a server LESTV and client UNETV
(French pun ).  For the moment LESTV is simply BM
with different graphics, but currently
students at ECE &  HETIC are working to offer
new features. The client UNETV is a completly new
software whose lead programmer is Gilbert Nzeka ,
a gifted young student of Jean-Francois Bonnet, a
teacher-researcher at ECE also involved with
Ars Mathematica and Digital Arts.

The software project started late, but
the client development is running on schedule.
We should have a GNU/Linux and a Windows
clients ready to be downloaded for the beginning
of the Summit.
Concerning Macs, the DTV client developped by the
Participatory Politics foundation
  in the US can be used.

The project has been retained for presentation in
the UNESCO parallel event as one of the
"ICT solutions to foster freedom of expression"
on November 18.

Since this software project has been so far only
with a French touch. We welcome all interested
parties to contribute to the software developement
or simply to use our software.

Concerning content, our idea is to
use the sites WSIS.TV (also TUNIS?.TV )
to make it available the video recordinng of the
parallel events at WSIS.
Since the timeframe is so short, we did not have to seek
sponsors to buy enough appropriate video cameras.
For all practical purposes we need digital video cameras
that are burning DVDs along with teams to man them.
This is the only practical way, since the FireWire transfer
time is too long. Therefore, if you planning to go to
Tunis and if you have a digital video DVD camera
please contact me ASAP if you want to be contribute
to this effort.

We would kindly suggest Event organizers to record
themselves their events and bring their recordings.

BitTorrent was confirmed by reliable sources,
not to be filtered in Tunisia, therefore
Tunisian people that are willing to help us
in Tunis, in any way, are most welcome to help.
seemingly without taking the risk of having problems
with the law ( but it their responsability to check this out ).

People can also help us in mastering the video rushes.
It rather uncertain that WSIS.TV is not going to be able
to make available almost live all the events, but
we hope that most events can be recorded and kept
to be viewed at a later stage.
Instead of a full video movie, we can broadcast
an audio recording with a handfull of still
photo pictures.
Of course this is not going to be as easy as said.
We would need a dedicated small CS office space
for this operation,along with a routable IP.
It would nice to setup a local server in Tunis,
if the bandwith is large enough.
I am currently working in the Kram
(from where I am sending this mail )
to solve those problems.

Those that are organizing events
and are interested to get their event recorded
please contact
and DeNNis.Marion at free.fr or denis.marion at wtis.org
  who is going to take care
of the management of the video recording operations.
You can contact me also, if needed.

On behalf of the P2Ptelevision.net team

Best regards

Francis

  Francis F. Muguet  Ph.D
  MDPI  Open Access Journals -  Associate Publisher
  http://www.mdpi.org  muguet at mdpi.net

  Knowledge Networks & Information Society Lab. (KNIS)
  http://www.knis.org  http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet
  E.N.S.T.A  32 Boulevard Victor  muguet at ensta.fr
  75739 PARIS CEDEX FRANCE
  (33) 01.45.52.60.19 -- Fax: (33) 01.45.52.52.82

  WSIS  World Summit on the Information Society
  Chair Scientific Information WG http://www.wsis-si.org
  Co-chair Patents & Copyrights WG htt://www.wsis-pct.org

  Multi-Stakeholders UN agency proposal  http://www.unmsp.org

  WTIS World Tour of the Information Society
  http://www.wtis.org  muguet at wtis;org