[WSIS CS-Plenary] Women's Statement - Tunisian HR Situation

Jac SM Kee jac at apcwomen.org
Tue Nov 15 17:34:58 GMT 2005

Dear all,

We have prepared this statement which we hope to circulate by tomorrow
morning. This is the women's statement on the Tunisian HR situation.
Please write to: jac at apcwomen.org AND mavic at iwtc.org if you want to
endorse the statement (whether as an individual or organisation or
network).

Please feel free to pass it on to your network.

If you have changes, please email it by tonight, midnight.

Thank you!
Mavic (IWTC & AMARC) + Jac (APC WNSP & KRYSS)

----

We, women’s organisations, individuals and networks gathered in Tunis
for Phase II of the World Summit on the Information Society, denounce
blatant violations of human rights, freedom of expression, access to
information and freedom of assembly by the Tunisian government.

On November 12th 2005, correspondent Christophe Boltanski of the French
daily Libération who previously reported the on-going hunger strike of
Tunisian political prisoners, was beaten and stabbed by four
unidentified assailants near his hotel in Tunis, in the presence of
police officers who did not take any action to stop the attack.

Preparations for a Citizen’s Summit on the Information Society have been
continuously disrupted and prevented from happening. On November 14th
2005, Tunisian authorities blocked access to the preparatory meeting
site, Goethe Institute, and physically forced people away from the
building. During this process, several people were insulted and beaten.
On the same day, a journalist from Belgium who was covering the event
had his camera confiscated. When the camera was returned later, the film
was missing.

These incidents form part of the serious deterioration of freedom of
expression and assembly in Tunisia.

The Tunisia Monitoring Group, a coalition of 14 organisations monitoring
freedom of expression in Tunisia, reported that since January 2005,
harassments of journalists and dissidents, imprisonment of those who
articulate criticisms against the Tunisian government have persisted,
and in some cases, escalated. The independence of judiciary has also
been compromised. Essai Belhassen, Coordinator of the Association of
Tunisian Democratic Women (Association Tunisienne des Femmes Democrates,
ATFD), has been consistently obstructed from participating in
WSIS-related meetings and events. Further, information sites covering
WSIS from civil society perspectives, especially those maintained by
Tunisians, have been censored and blocked.

Freedoms of expression, access to information and freedom of assembly
are integral to the principles of gender equality and women’s human
rights. Human rights and freedoms, of which women's human rights and
freedoms are a central part, must be located at the core of the
information society.

As articulated in Paragraph 4 of the WSIS Declaration, to which the
Tunisian government is a signatory, and as outlined in Article 19 of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, everyone has the right to freedom
of opinion and expression; that this right includes freedom to hold
opinions without interference. We call on the Tunisian government and
the international community to protect and uphold these rights.

We urge a real commitment to the Geneva Declaration of Principles in
building an Information Society that is people-centred, inclusive,
participatory, democratic and development-oriented.

We are outraged and gravely concerned by the impunity demonstrated by
the Tunisian authorities in curtailing the freedoms of expression,
access to information and freedom of assembly.

We demand the Tunisian government to put an end to the human rights
violations. It is intolerable that we are experiencing serious
violations of basic human rights even as we gather here to shape a just
and equitable Information Society.

Signed:

World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC) – Women’s
International Network
Association of Progressive Communications, Women’s Networking Support
Programme (APC WNSP)
International Women’s Tribune Centre
European Federation of Older Persons (EURAG) – Europe
Knowledge & Rights with Young People through Safer Spaces (KRYSS)
(more please!)

--

"Today I caught the scent of change. It moves me." - jhybeturtle/antagonyaunt

www.apcwomen.org; www.genderIT.org;
www.kryss.org; www.wao.org.my; www.sistersinislam.org.my