[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS blog posts from yesterday

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Thu Nov 17 08:27:17 GMT 2005

Here's the text of my recent blog entries from Tunis. I have also posted
numerous videos and podcasts to my blog, located at www.andycarvin.com -andy

I Want Bandwidth

WSIS has been a great event for liveblogging, but it's a pain in the
butt if you want to videoblog or podcast. I've got two videos and one
podcast I want to upload, but so far, no luck - the wifi connection is
currently uploading at less than 1k per second. Three hundred bits per
second, to be precise. I guess I'll have to do it on my own dime at the
hotel late tonight. Or I may just let some of the videos pile up and
upload them when I get home. I just can't afford to sit around for hours
waiting for 900k clips to upload. Maybe I'll have better luck at the
next summit. Oh, wait.... -andy

Robert Mugabe's WSIS Speech

Notes from Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe; most notes are direct quotes.

We meet on the occasion of the second phase of WSIS in order to make
another imprint on a journey that began in 1998... for a global meeting
to promote greater society on what is commonly known as the information
society. It's indeed fitting that the Tunis phase should take place in
Africa, where the idea of that summit was born...

ICTs can be a useful tool in generating economic growth and employment
creation, improving productivity and quality of life for all people....
On one level, this summit provides an opportunity for the global family
of nations to address this need....

We attach special importance to the establishment of the digital
solidarity fund and trust it will play a positive role in expanding
access to ICTs.

I believe that WSIS has achieved one of its initial aims of fostering
the full range of opportunities presented by ICTs.

Zimbabwe is concerned that the Internet is being used to undermine a
country's values, including child pornography, cyber crime and cyber
terrorism.

We also challenge the issue of Internet governance where one or two
countries insist on being world policemen on the management and
administration of the Internet. We must allow for a more transparent and
multilateral approach to Internet governance. Why should our diverse
world be beholden to an American company? And without clear financing
mechanisms to bridge the digital divide, all of this work may be
doomed... The west's resistance to the solidary fund may spell doom for
all things developed in this process. Suppose they are being rejected
because they are not being managed by the Breton Woods institutions on
the strenghs of the west's industrial designs?

Posted by acarvin at 12:41 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
Notes from Thabo Mbeki's Speech

Notes from South African President Thabo Mbeki. He talked rather fast so
I didn't capture as much as I would have liked; almost all of this is
paraphrased. -andy

One of the central challenges of humanity is the eradication of poverty.
Having the summit in Africa helps emphasise the role ICTs can play in
extricating Africans from poverty....

The creation of an inclusive, development-oriented info society is in
the best interest of all humanity. We must be multi-lateral,
multi-stakeholder institutions and systems to ensure equitable access to
ICTs and participation in Internet governance.

We should move with the necessary speed to implement new licensing
models for proprietary software as well as free and open source, as part
of the overall strategy in bridging the digital divide.

ICTs are a powerful ally we all must mobilize.... We are determined to
do whatever we can to implement the ideas brought forth at WSIS to
create an inclusive information society.

Posted by acarvin at 12:30 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
Swiss President: Let People Speak Freely

The president of the Swiss Confederation is speaking right now. He's
just said he can't believe there are still UN members states that
imprison citizens because of their opinons. He added that all people
attending WSIS should be allowed to express their opinions freely and
openly, clearly a reference to Tunisian interference in civil society's
activities here. The comments were met with roaring applause from the
civil society gallery. -andy

Posted by acarvin at 10:55 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
Kofi Annan's WSIS Speech

Notes from Kofi Annan's opening speech at WSIS:

Two years ago in Geneva, the first phase articulated a vision - a vision
of open and inclusive information society. our task here in tunis is to
move from diagnosis to deeds.... It must be a summit of solutions. It
must lead to the use of ICTs in new ways that will benefit all social
classes.... and develop the economies of the poor.

What do we mean by the information society? One where human capacity is
built up, liberated with access and the skills to use it effective. The
cost of connectivity can be broad down. These bridges to a better life
can be universally affordable and accessible. We must summon the will to
do it. The information society also depends on networks. If its benefits
are to spread around the world, we must promote the same cooperative spirit.

The Internet's very life blood is freedom - allows journalists to do
their work and citizens to hold govts accountable. Without this, the
information revolution will stall and be stillborn.

By now, we know what the problems are. We now must foster innovation and
digital opportunity. The spread of mobile phones in africa have spread
entrepreneurship, particularly by women. Doctors have access to medical
information, students to research data, relief workers better
coordinated relief. The same opportunities can be given to more people
in the developing world.

The UN doesn't want to control the Internet... The US deserves thanks
for creating the Internet and managing in honorably.... But I think you
all acknowledge the need for more international involvement in
governance discussions. Let these discussions continue; we in the UN
will support this process in every way we can.

There is a tremendous yearning; not for technology per se, but for what
technology can make possible. I urge you to take the tangible steps to
make this summit a memorable event for advances the causes of dignity,
development and peace. Thank you, shukran, shalom alechem.

Posted by acarvin at 10:36 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
WSIS Opening Remarks: Tunisian President Ben Ali

Notes from opening remarks from Tunisian President Ben Ali this morning
at the World Summit on the Information Society.

Today, by the grace of God, we open the proceedings of the Tunis phase
of the World Summit on the Information Society.

We are firmly convinced at building a knowledge and communication
society for a brighter future of all humanity.

This [digital] divide is growing wider... The digital divide is
essential a development disparity before it is a technological gap. The
need of the least developed countries is growing increasing urgent,
particularly in the role of ICTs in education, higher education,
science, health, culture and other fields.... These technological
developments have confronted humanity with a set of challenges... We
must strive to... a new approach to international cooperation. We also
look forward to the adoption of practical decisions and proposals to
solve the questions put forth by the information society.

These last few years have witnessed the emergence of some types of use
that shake confidence... in networks. Some arouse racism, hatred...
terrorism... Some others disseminate discriminations and falsehoods...
and the illegal use of databases.... Without restrictions or
constraints, we find it necessary to establish universal standards... of
modern communication means.

The information society offers individuals large freedoms in the use of
networks... for the expression of opinions.... Still, this society
requires individuals to commit to responsible use.

The effects of the digital divide go beyond social aspects... such as
cultural diversity, which represents humanity's true wealth.
Communication among languages... now depends on their ability to be
available in the virtual space. Statistics show that the current use of
languages on the Internet does not reflect cultural diversity...

The first phase of WSIS has offered us the opportunity to examine
relevant issues and look into the ways and means whereby we'll be able
to meet challenges faced by humanity in the ICT field.... Intensive
consultants have been held on pending issues.... Regional meetings
have... helped enrich dialogue on Internet government and bridging the
digital divide.

The Internet is one of the most important pending issues that need a
consensus in order to serve the needs of all humanity.... as regards to
the digital divide, there is a need today... for the establishment of a
clear, prospective approach outlining an equitable knowledge society,
allowing all people to have access to information and communication
technologies.

Can't Stand the Heat? Get Out of the Expo

One thing a lot of people have been talking about at WSIS is the uneven
distribution of air conditioning at the Kram Palexpo. For example, the
ICT4All expo is divided into two areas, basically housed under giant
circus tents. (I'll let someone else make a comment about the irony of
that.) In one area, the air is cool and pleasant; in the other, it's
stifling hot and uncomfortable.

For example, the TakingITGlobal Youth Hub is located near where the two
areas intersect. Everyone working there is in a constant state of
sweatiness. It's taking its toll on TakingITGlobal; less people are
visiting the booth because it's so uncomfortable. Even worse, it seems
like it's beginning to affect equipment: their DVD player kept freezing
up at random, and Nick Moraitis and I feared it's because of the high temps.

I guess there are two ways of looking at this. On the one hand, NGOs and
other exhibitors paid serious money for display space at WSIS, and
having arbitrary cooling throughout the expo means that some of that
money might as well have been flushed down a toilette. Clearly (and in
this case, quite literally) the circus tent-like atmosphere in the Expo
hall means that some groups are getting shafted while others stay comfy
cozy.

On the other hand, isn't this just another manifestation of the digital
divide? I've lost track of the number of telecentres I've visited that
don't keep any lights on because it's already so damn hot. Air
conditioning may seem like a pre-requisite for a community center, but
that's just for us spoiled northerners. Try visiting a telecentre in
rural Ghana or Bangladesh - I wouldn't count on A/C. For them, this
means greater challenges in keeping equipment functional and visitors
happy. It's so easy to assume that most telecentres have some kind of
environmental control systems but I would guess the opposite is true. So
for the next few days, at least, the hundreds of exhibitors will get to
experience this rarely discussed aspect of the digital divide - those
communities who can afford to live in cool comfort and those who have to
deal with mother nature.... -andy

Posted by acarvin at 05:26 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
Less Show Girls, More PhDs, Please

Is it me or are there a lot of busty women in tight, low-cut outfits in
the ICT4All expo? I'm not talking about delegates , mind you - I'm
talking about the young women working many of the corporate and national
booths in the expo. Around each corner, I feel like I'm greeted by yet
another gorgeous woman repeating the same five talking points about
whatever product or service the booth is featuring.

It's not like I haven't seen this before; just go to the NAB conference
or another big business confab, and you're bound to see attractive women
manning the booths, as it were, no doubt to catch the eye of lonely
businessmen and suck them into a sales pitch. But there's something
really, really unseemly about having similar tactics used at WSIS. If I
recall, the last expo at WSIS Geneva had lots of women, but they were
all actually key players in the projects on display - PhDs running
national libraries, technologists demonstrating the latest solar panel
system. Here, though, I feel like I'm surrounded by women who were hired
solely for their looks and not for their knowledge in IT or the digital
divide. Is it possible that these vendors don't have any women working
for them? Or are they just trying to pull in male delegates,
particularly ones from country not used to seeing women flaunting their
beauty in public?

I'll spend more time in the Expo this week, of course, as will everyone
else. So I'm hoping this is just a weird and somewhat incorrect first
impression. Let's just wait and see. -andy

Blogger Questioned for Taking Photos During WSIS Registration

Pakistani blogger Shahzad of BytesForAll recently posted a message to
the APC blog warning people about taking pictures around WSIS
facilities. Here's a part of the account, with added emphasis by me:

     Maxigas had to register and collect his badge from the WSIS
registration centre. I accompanied him to the centre and then thought of
taking some pictures of the registration area to share with
folks at bytesforall.

     Looking at our cameras, when we still had to take a picture, this
security person came to us and warned us to refrain from taking
pictures. Then, he asked for our passports and started questioning as to
why we want to take pictures.

     We informed him that we plan to share these on various blogs and
websites, to which he responded that only accredited journalists are
allowed to take pictures. He also went through all the snapshots
available in our digital camera.

     In the meantime, the lady translator was apologizing again and
again for this. We were detained and questioned for about 15 minutes and
allowed to go. We did request them though to place some notices and
signs to let other delegates know that photography is forbidden in the
WSIS area.

     For me, it is very interesting, since almost every delegate is
carrying this weapon and surely would want to photograph their event,
exhibition area, friends etc. and, in doing so, could seriously fall
into trouble.

I personally haven't taken any pictures yet, and I don't have any plans
to curtail my photography based on this incident. My guess is some
jittery security guard though someone was trying to take pics of
registering delegates. But even so, it's next to impossible to take a
picture at WSIS without getting some other delegates in the frame
accidentally. And as Shahzad said, probably every delegate here is armed
with some kind of camera. And 15,000 delegates can't be wrong. -andy

--
Andy Carvin