[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS WSIS statement - feedback needed by 22:00 through caucuses

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Sun Nov 20 16:59:35 GMT 2005

Dear Renata and all,

Thank you for everyone's work on the statement, which looks very good.  I
have not seen previous posts on the text of this, but perhaps did not come
through and have posted it to the Health and ICT WG.

Perhaps one of the lessons learned is that there is value in beginning the
process for the drafting of a CS Declaration sooner as one can never be sure
what the final outcome will be of the governmental version.  While it may
show support for the governmental process, by not initiating the drafting
until it is determined that the governmental version is not satisfactory, it
places CS at a disadvantage by not having one prepared to be presented at
the close of the Summit as was done in Geneva.  On the positive side there
may be more time to include input from those NGOs who were not able to
attend the Tunis Summit.

However, it is hoped that once the CS Declaration is finalized it will draw
much media attention.  We should all work to the goal of getting as much
media and world attention to the CS  Declaration which will contain the
goals/implementation CS believes are essential for an effective and
inclusive information society.

I look forward to the next draft of the WSIS II CS Declaration, which will
be an important document.  It is hoped that this document will also be
posted on the WSIS ITU/UN website, as was done with the WSIS I Declaration.

Thank you again for everyone's work in this important process.

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
Health and ICT Working Group