[WSIS CS-Plenary] another view on the Tunis summit

l.d.misek-falkoff falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:28:13 GMT 2005

Dear Claire and hello all,

For one and from the persepective of **Respectful Interfaces*,* it is very
pleasant to have your post and the linked-to article by Bill Thompson.  In
my own thoughts I have been trying to compose something beginning with a
disclaimer on sacharrine (overly sweet and/but artifical) comments.

I do believe/ concur with  the following, from Bill's article:

<quote> *" In fact the summit achieved a great deal, and the two main
documents produced – the **Tunis
Agenda*<http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/doc_multi.asp?lang=en&id=2267%7C0>
* and the **Tunis
Commitment*<http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/doc_multi.asp?lang=en&id=2199%7C0>
* – were only part of it. Just having everyone in the same place at the same
time allowed conversations to take place at all levels, from senior
ministers to activist members of radical NGOs. Information was exchanged,
future collaborations were discussed, and the hundreds of exhibitors at the
**ICT4ALL* <http://www.ict4all-tunis.org/>* exhibition that accompanied the
summit were able to show off their work to a remarkably receptive audience."
* <endquote>.
And my own summaries will resonate on these points.
True, I was not one blocked from entry, and I did not personally witness
some reported disputes, so I do not claim to speak for all. Each *disrespectful
interface* commands our attention.

But when told there were 30,000 in attendance I was grateful for each link I
was part of, with government, civil society (organizations, grass roots, and
individual) new friends and colleagues, one expects. Momentum should prove a
fine ally.

Thank you again for opening the door to viewing all sides of the matter.

P.S. All interested in *Respectful Interfaces* are cordially invited to
convene in a WSUS-2-Tunis list under the "Respites" (abbrev.) banner.

With warm regards to all, LDMF.
Individual email.
Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
Computing / Law / Humanities.
Communications Coordination Committee for the United Nations, and other U.N.
NGOS.
Other Affliations on request.