[WSIS CS-Plenary] Final Plenary CS Statements

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Sat Oct 1 08:38:54 BST 2005

dear all

Civil Society ended up making three statements in the final plenary last night.

This wasn't intended. Our original plan was to have one CS speaker from
Sub-ComA and one from Sub-ComB.

However, the chair of subcom A - due to a 'misunderstanding/technical
error' didn't allow civil society or the private sector to speak in the
final subcom A meeting (just prior to plenary. So, after a personal
intervention from izumi, the chair apologised and requested that Amb
Karklins give them space in the final plenary.

So, Avri read the statement we had prepared on SubCom A, not too long
before njenga read a statement based on the press conference statement with
a little re-working. There was some overlap, but it didn't matter - the
fact that the statements echoed one another was quite good.

Bertrand also read a statement, emphasizing amongst other things, the
concern about process from now, until tunis - and beyond.

The two statements prepared by the IG caucus are below, i don't have a copy
of bertrands

karen
-----
ps.. note - the statements below are not exactly what was read - some
adjustments had to be made on the fly due to the general confusion - both
statements have been submitted to the WSIS/ITU secretariat

statements by avri doria (1) and emmanuel njenga njuguna (2)

(1) Internet Governance Statement for SUBCOM A – 30 September

We see promise in the proposal from Argentina of 30 September, which takes
the WGIG report seriously and includes some general principles that are
close to our own.

We welcome the references to the participation of all stake-holders in, for
example, the development of multi-stakeholder processes at the national and
regional levels, and in training and capacity building activities.

However, the proposal must include explicit references to including all
stakeholders as peers, at all levels of the forum, in line with the Geneva
principles.

Although the forum has an important role as a space “to facilitate the
exchange of information and best practices
 “ (etc), we believe that, as
the WGIG report recommended, the forum should be a place where any issue,
specific or multidimensional, can be addressed; e.g the issue of
international interconnection costs has not been adequately addressed by
any single organization.

We agree that the forum should not replace existing mechanisms or
institutions and should build on the existing structures, but it should
certainly facilitate greater interaction and cooperation between mechanisms.

There is no mention of where and in what form the forum would be
constituted; we have suggested that it should be outside of, but related
to, the UN.
We certainly don't want it based in an existing institution though we do
see a role for existing institutions to act as hosts for its meetings.

We are concerned about the process from here to Tunis. How will the multi
stakeholder model be accommodated? If the process is closed, the wealth of
CS expertise will not be available to the governments.  We would like to
know whether the proposals made by civil society and other stakeholders are
to be considered in the continuing process.

How can we move forward together?

(2) Emmanuel Njenga Njuguna, Association for Progressive Communications,
for the WSIS Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus

Statement to Plenary, WSIS PrepCom III, September 30th 2005

After 2 weeks of PrepCom the governments have still not reached agreement
on Internet governance.

The Geneva principles create the opportunity for this impasse to be
resolved constructively and creatively by including the perspectives and
expertise of all stakeholders. We believe this would have been more
effective than the ongoing deadlock that emerged from counter positioning
among governments.

This is the only way to arrive at a legitimate and sustainable outcome as
it includes the participation of the people and institutions involved in
the evolution, use and management of the Internet.

Most governments now support the creation of an Internet Governance Forum,
which we value as a positive outcome of the work of Sub Committee A during
PrepCom III.

---- cut on the fly, a bit of adlibbing, as the statement was not intended
to be read out so soon after avris

We think that the Forum will only work if it’s formation is based on the
Geneva principles, addresses cross cutting issues and provides a space that
addresses the multidimensional aspects of development in relation to
Internet governance and public policy issues.  We believe that there are
many creative solutions to the establishment of a Forum and hope that the
governments will give our suggestions full consideration.

----->

We would like to add that the Prepcom would have made much more progress if
governments had begun their negotiations explicitly based on the work done
by the WGIG, a body that was exemplary in that it afforded all sectors full
participation as peers.

Civil society made a statement on Wednesday 28 September 2005 protesting
the exclusion of non-governmental organizations from the working
groups.  Our protest questioned the legitimacy of a process that excluded
the meaningful participation of all stakeholders. Meaningful participation
involves the ability to take part in all discussions.

While conditions for participation did not change in a material way after
the reading of the statement, the chairs of the subcommittees did try to
accommodate non-governmental participants as best they could.  We
appreciate their efforts, and regret, due to circumstances beyond their
control, that they were not able to sustain them throughout the PrepCom.

We are concerned about the process from here to Tunis.

Will all stakeholders be included?

If they are not, the legitimacy of this uniquely inclusive process will be
at risk.