[WSIS CS-Plenary] Participations to the Summit by individuals (was Re: from IHT...)

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Oct 2 11:31:58 BST 2005

On 1 okt 2005, at 19.36, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Also, my written contributions for this last PrepCom were rejected
> as well, apparently because, as an individual, I have no right to
> submit contributions to the PrepCom (however I did not even receive
> a formal reply, and I could only ascertain this through informal
> channels). It is something that, as an individual used at
> participating in global Internet policy processes in an individual
> capacity, I find extremely frustrating.

I have been think about this a lot lately and have been wondering how
to express my views on it.  Since the Forum has become a real
possibility and we need to start thinking about how CS will be
organized for participation, I think this is an issue we need to try
and reach some rough consensus on.

And since I am in work avoidance mode on something else I should be
doing, I figured now is as good a time as any to contribute some of
my thoughts to the issue.

I definitely support the view that individuals must have a voice in
the process.  As a long time participant in the IETF, I consider the
ability to participate in something where my employer (when i have
one) is somewhat proscribed from limiting my voice a blessing.

But i have trouble understanding how, as participants in this global
process the many voices of individuals could be included in a
manageable way.  To require the process to allow everyone to input
their opinion directly could eventually lead to thousand of
statements and requests to speak - the volume would tend to make all
of our voices disappear into an unmanageable mass that was easy to
ignore.  Scaling in such a process seems to require that there be
ways to combine our voices into the aggregate voice of affinity
groups of like minded individuals.

I agree that needing an accredited associations endorsement, the
current aggregation technique, in order to participate is too onerous
a process for many.  My solution was to request that the university I
am affiliated with become accredited, but this is not possible for
everyone.

I am wondering whether an intermediate way can be found.  Is it
reasonable or possible for groups such as those who consider
themselves netizens, the technologists who create the FOSS that is
critical to the innovation of the network, and other affinity groups
of a similar sort, to form themselves into structures that can
sponsor participants. Just as the IETF existed for a long time
without any formal organizational anchoring (e.g. the IETF was not an
NGO or incorporated in any way, yet it functioned as a mechanism for
producing a rough consensus for many individuals) yet was able to
make the collective voice of a group of somewhat like minded
individuals heard in the community. So we could have structures like
the Netizen's Action Committee or the Association of FOSS
Contributors set themselves up within the context of Civil society
and have those groupings 'accredited' by the system and able to
register participants.  It would certainly take a concerted effort on
the part of civil society to get accreditation for those affinity
groups, but it might be worth the effort, especially if it made it
possible for the myriad of voices who are not currently represented
to be included in a manageable way.

To try and make the suggestion a little more explicit, I am not
suggesting that these new affinity groups (AG?) form them outside of
the the process by incorporation.  I am rather suggesting that like
caucuses or families they become a part of the civil society
community within the process.  Participation in one of these AGs
would be sufficient for a person to gain access to the process and
would serve as a vehicle for getting ones voice included in the
discussions.  I would suggest that it should be enough for the AGs to
have some self determined structure in line with the civil society
guidelines for other civil society entities.  the way in which they
differed from caucuses and families is that they would count as
affiliated entities for the purposes of speaking and for quorum etc
in civil society processes.

Note: some who have read my email on netizens in the past may wonder
if i have come to accept the term.  for myself i don't even though i
might fit the definition used, but if there are enough people who who
see themselves as netizens and are happy calling themselves netizens,
who am i to say they don't exist.  just because i don't really
understand how they differ from the rest of us, if they have a
collective view of what makes them an affinity group they should be
able to participate in the process using the defining term for
themselves that they find most appropriate.  I think this is an
important point.  If a group of people defines themselves as an AG,
and can describe that affinity in language they have rough consensus
on, that should be good enough.  Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't
think any of us is alone, we all belong to many affinity groups of
one sort or another.  We just need to find the affinity group we are
most comfortable being known as a participant of.

i hope this makes some sort of sense.

thanks

a.