[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: oldcomer's angst

west westasiaregion at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 12:14:32 BST 2005

 Dear All,

I think this is an issue that should be raised in the next working group
discussion to find a solution for it, we are dealing with a UN process and
according to it rules and procedures, its not an outside UN process, which
enables everyone's contribution directly or even participation.Only
accredited entities, we like or not,are allowed to get involved in the
process and it's very political. I think we did the very correct thing to
organize ourselves in a way to deal with this bureaucratic process in most
efficient way possible (and avoid the prepcom 1 mess!!). Accredited entities
are allowed to cover individuals to attend the meetings, but there is an
obligation to follow the policy of that entity, which even in case of our
colleague, she was forced to follow her commitments with Govt. same applies
for NGOs, if our NGO registered someone, fur sure it will control or direct
what he/she is saying and it should be in line with general policy of the
group. Imagine someone registered by a human rights groups and start
defending the execution law in a UN process.  I still insist on my first
words, than this is a serious process for all of us and we are using a lot
of resources, which could be used for other good things, so we should be
careful for not wasting our limited time and achieve most possible. To my
personal point of view, opening every debate for every person who joins the
process, is a very time consuming and we should think of a solution. Govt
have structure who briefs people before they join a mission, what we have?

We live in reality and a real world, we should face it, like it or not this
is a UN Inter-Governmental process with all of its characteristics. If
someone don't like this way of work, should suggest realistic alternates and
solutions. What we could and should do? come up with recommendations.

regards
Amir