[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: oldcomer's angst

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Oct 4 14:33:20 BST 2005

west wrote:
> We live in reality and a real world, we should face it, like it or not
> this is a UN Inter-Governmental process with all of its characteristics.
> If someone don't like this way of work, should suggest realistic
> alternates and solutions. What we could and should do? come up with
> recommendations.

The recommendation I already posted is the following (on Sep 26,
speaking about the Plenary charter):

=====
I object to point 5, in that we should not subject ourselves to UN
accreditation processes, that in some cases can be thwarted to deny
accreditation to legitimate entities (I remember a case with a Chinese
organization, not much time ago). Also, I think that more and more
individuals, acting on a personal basis, are getting involved in these
processes, and more will come. Thus I would propose the following
formulation for 5.:

"All individuals who either represent accredited civil society entities,
or subscribe to the online Plenary mailing list, or register in person
at physical Plenary meetings, are members of the Plenary."

If you want, you might add a clause of incompatibility between being
part of delegations from other stakeholders, and having the right to
vote. I must point out that that would exclude plenty of the most active
CS members (me included) that have obtained accreditation through
governmental delegations so to be able to enter closed rooms and inform
the rest of us.

Or, if you want, you might introduce a no-objection procedure by which
the Plenary, by qualified majority, can deny membership to selected
individuals.
=====

Was it considered by the group? Why was it rejected? Why was it not
brought up for discussion in the Plenary itself?

I am sorry, I don't mean to be blunt or divisive, but I find it hard to
go and fight for greater civil society inclusion, if then we fail to be
inclusive ourselves. The repeatedly challenged list of speakers for the
Summit is just another example. I think we need to sort out our own
accontability mechanisms.

Thanks,