[WSIS CS-Plenary] proposed list of speakers for Tunis

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Tue Oct 4 11:14:13 BST 2005

I'm also unclear as to rules, procedures and priorities/strategies
here...

Starting with the latter... I would have thought, but could be wrong,
that the priority/strategy for the selection of the CS speakers would be
directed not to the internal on going WSIS processes (and insiders) but
rather to the much larger, more diverse and much less informed group of
those participating in the processes for the first time at the Summit
and perhaps even more important, the possible linkages into the more
general public and specifically the ICT policy aware public through the
media.

If this is the case, then the identification shoud be done with one eye
on credibility/visibility to this larger universe.

As for procedures, this would suggest that some procedure be put in
place to link the selection process with CS somewhat beyond the rather
narrow and highly selective group of those currently active in the WSIS
process and to include those "montioring" the process from afar
primarily I would guess through these lists, but also via other forms of
"reporting out".

However, I seem to recall that somewhere a "rule" was promulgated and I
admit to not remembering from where it came, that participation as a
speaker would only be allowed for those who had previously been active
in the WSIS process which would, based on the above seem to be a rule
which one would more or less immediately want to change or at least
challenge.

Perhaps someone could advise,

Best,

Mike Gurstein (who has made some few suggestions concerning possible
speakers and thus would like some clarification s per the above...