[WSIS CS-Plenary] Reservation on process - list of speakers for Tunis

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Tue Oct 4 12:16:33 BST 2005

On 4-Oct-05, at 6:14 AM, Gurstein, Michael wrote:

> I'm also unclear as to rules, procedures and priorities/strategies
> here...

Michael:

I will be more blunt.  Let me be more harsh. I know my comments will
be controversial - but i need to express to this list what I
expressed verbally several times during the recent prepcom in Geneva.

It is my personal view that the Civil Society (CS) process for
nomination of speakers names for the summit as developed at PC 3, is
- well, a farce.

The  developed a criteria, one that it left ngos less than a week to
consult, one that only allowed those who had ONLY been already been
involved and/or attended the wsis process to participate is
unacceptable. Furthermore, the selection committee hastily created
has - no - clue about who in fact would be a visionary, high level
speaker (meaning only head of organizations need apply).

At phase one CS was given well over a month to consult to its
constituencies. However this time, this was not possible. This is not
due to the ITU, which in fact DID notify the civil society bureau
(CSB) through CONGO about the need to consult and submit names by the
first week in Oct. Despite recieving generous funds (well over
150,000 CHF) to help co-ordinate CS @ wsis , CONGO for some reason
dropped the ball and did not start the process well in advance. In
fact, the issue was not raised until late in the first week of the
prepcom.

Leaving such a key and important issue almost until the end seriously
compromises the ability of CS to find high level names to speak at
the very key summit events. For me this lack of leadership is ,
completely, unacceptable.

Three things to note :

1. NO funding of any kind is available for potential speakers to
travel to, and attend the wsis summit (if they are selected)
2. As was the case in the Geneva phase, it is the ITU that has the
ultimate decision on the selection. Thus, the process has always
allowed for  Individuals and/or organizations to contact and submit
names to the ITU
3. Again, as i mentioned earlier - the selection criteria and process
as developed at the prepcom is not one I support. I have protested
quite vocally against its process, specifically only favouring an
elite few who have had the chance to attend an existing official WSIS
prepcom event.

Serious incidents have already arisen due to the lack of an open and
clear process.   For example, on Friday hours before the 2nd plenary
session the gender caucus had to deal with the issue of   Saida
"nomination" as an  an "excellent" personal to speak on behalf of the
gender caucus at the summit. Magaly Pazello, the meeting chair
refused. She reminded the attendees that  a process had to be
followed first. After the meeting,  Saida and agents basically
swarmed and intimidated Magaly outside the serpentine bar. Luckily
the swarming was witnessed by several (non-tunisian) government
delegates.

One has to ask the question,  will well known Tunisian agents be
recommended as speakers at the summit ? If so, will we be OK with
them speaking on the behalf of Civil Society ? Well, we have to deal
with the issue...

I have transmitted my concern and serious reservations about the last
minute process that has been developed on this issue to the Canadian
govt officials involved in the WSIS.

In the meantime, i would  recommend the process be re-opened,
allowing for suggestions of persons that might be good speakers to be
further elaborated and developed in line with the comments sent by
Michael Gurstein and others.

regards,

Robert

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
Director, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)