[WSIS CS-Plenary] proposed list of speakers for Tunis

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Tue Oct 4 13:40:54 BST 2005

Thanks Vittorio for responding to this issue.

I agree that there should be a limit that each org should speak no more than
1 time at the least. Each caucus maybe 2 time max, if it is very involved in
relevant issues. I prefer to stick to once too, since there are not enough
spots as it is to go around but I am willing to recognise that some caucus
may have something more than others to say. Having said that, I never saw
the Asia Pacific Caucus for example meet, and yet this caucus was given many
slots. Being from Asia myself, I am disappointed that I was not able to
participate and yet I see there are many slots given here, and would like to
understand the basis for this.

Every caucus attended Geneva and bothered to be involved, because they all
had something to contribute and wanted to be part of the Information
Society, that CS claims to speak on behalf of. Take for e.g. Values and
Ethics, who some may think do not have anything relevent to say. Yet we did
submit statemtns which were compiled into the Chair's of SubCom A
compilation of comments. So we were not just there in name. Likewise, this
goes for many others caucuses and organisations.

I agree with you Vittorio, that this needs to be considered further,
otherwise there will be many discouraged about the CS not walking the talk
about "multistakeholder" "inclusive" or "transparent". I know we cannot
fulfil everyone's needs, but we can at least try to be as inclusive as we
can. I know CSB has been working hard as they can to ensure all this, but it
would be a waste if all this blows up, just due to pressures of time and
other factors. I do believe we have an opportunity to do things right, so we
also show the governments that we walk the talk and are all for a
multistakeholder Information Society ourselves.

I truly appreciate everyone involved in CS are mainly volunteers and doing
their best under the circumstances, but as Vittorio suggests, there is still
an opportunity to do something about it and make it even better.

Laina