[WSIS CS-Plenary] Summit speakers

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Tue Oct 4 16:07:12 BST 2005

Hello all

My two Rands worth.

The CS speaker nominations were called for by the end of PrepCom 3.
Robert is right that we should have begun a long time back but no
one, including Robert in his role as a CSB member,  chose to take the
lead on this prior to the PrepCom either before or after the
information was posted by CONGO. This isn't surprising as there are
few CS members, if any, able to make WSIS their life and time between
meetings is consumed by 'rest of life' activity. WSIS activity is
left to the designated meeting times.

The ITU are aware that the phase one selection process involved a lot
of work on the part of civil society and that there was widespread
disenchantment with the results which did not reflect that work.

The ITU seemed during PrepCom 3  to be genuinely approaching speaker
nomination from civil society with goodwill. This was confirmed by
the liaison work done by Toru Nakaya of the ITU.

However, the ITU is the lead agency for the Summit and the Summit
isn't far away. They had set a deadline and have made clear that they
reserve final decision making on speakers. They have a broader set of
considerations - ones that match Michael Gurstein's views '..... then
the identification shoud be done with one eye on credibility/
visibility to this larger universe....' The selection will not wait
much longer and that's just a logistical and realistic fact. Content
and Themes did not offer any criteria when the subject was discussed.

The ITU is developing a speakers list of its own. Civil Society's
nominations will be considered in a compiled list from all sources.
We were never in a position to negotiate who, when, how much time,
though general guidelines were provided to us to assist our
nomination process. These were posted to the plenary list.

Here are some early prospects from the ITU list:

Mr. Oliver Segond, Secretary General, Digital Solidarity Fund
Dr Robert Khan, Founder Corporation for National Research Institute
Mr Swaminathan, President MS Swaminathan Foundation
Mr Jimmy Wales, President WikiMedia Foundation
Prof. Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Technology Centre
Mr Tim Berners Lee, Director World Wide Web Consortium

Aside from the fact that the above list is not gender balanced (which
is directly connected to the 'highest level of the organisation'
criteria) Toru Nakaya did assure us on several occasions that in its
final list the ITU will be sensitive to region, gender, age, language
and state of national development. That of course does not mean the
final list will reflect all these considerations because the
paramount criteria will be putting out key messages to the citizens
of the world on the Information Society and all its components
including but not limited to principles, Internet Governance and the
digital divide.

I think that the process has not been perfect but has been reasonable
given the time constraints and process decided upon by the content
and themes meeting - which was to set up a committee and not to work
through the nominations as a whole group (albeit without the off site
people who could have been consulted). The latter was a process
proposal developed by Bertrand. It would have taken time and been
laborious but would have distributed the decision more widely.

Realistically, I think we should acknowledge the shift in approach
made since phase 1 by the ITU  and understand the current limitations
of our sphere of influence here.

Having said that I would be quite happy to see people drive a new
selection process, though not confident it could unfold before the
decision is made by the ITU.

Tracey Naughton