[WSIS CS-Plenary] Plenary speakers in Tunis : why not focus on the themes ?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Oct 5 15:00:58 BST 2005

Il giorno mer, 05-10-2005 alle 09:13 -0400, Robert Guerra ha scritto:
> thanks for the constructive suggestion. I support the idea of
> breaking down the selections by priority areas. It is a good approach.
>
> However, time is very short.  We need to move quickly. Count on my
> support. let me know what and how i can help to make this revised
> approach a reality.

I think that, if we agree on the list of priority items (which I think
is quite good), nominations could be grouped by item (adding one name to
more than one group, if appropriate) and then one person per group would
be chosen. I would recommend, before making choices, to agree on the
diversity criteria that many people seemed to support (not more than one
per organization / caucus, not more than a couple per country, maybe
with a very limited number of clearly justified exceptions if deemed
necessary).

I want to add a note on the nomination of John Perry Barlow: I don't
know him in person, but he is broadly famous and hugely respected in the
Internet community. With all respect to all the (actual) friends of mine
included in the nominees list, I think that this is the kind of people
that are expected to be speaking at a Summit of Heads of State, and that
would definitely help us in getting our messages recorded by the media,
provided of course that they agree to bring *our* message, not their
personal one - i.e. to agree the substance of their intervention with
the relevant caucuses.