[WSIS CS-Plenary] Canada's proposal on IG forum - its COMPLETELY UNACCE

Jak Archibald james.archibald at mcgill.ca
Fri Oct 7 15:32:15 BST 2005

Dear Liss,

One should remember that "capacity building" way well be understood
under the light of UNESCO's globalizing view that Internet has the
"function of enabling the free flow of information";  this then should
make the Internet "an inherently democratic and empowering force" when
it is properly supported through international instruments of governance
compatible with human rights and freedoms.(1) Hence, "capacity building"
entails creating enabling and empowering environments, a position which
has traditionally been supported by the Canadian government. It must be
recognized, however, that empowerment is a double-edged sword in today's
world and that international and national safeguards must be put in
place to protect citizens against abuse of this power by guaranteeing
their "collective right to security".  See Clarke's statement to the
European Parliament in this regard.(2)

Best regards,

Jim

(1)Internet Governance,UNESCO Position Statement. (UN ICT Task Force
Global Forum on Internet Governance, 25-26 March 2004, New York)
(2) "we should not forget that we now possess many hard-fought rights
such as the right to privacy, the right to property, the right to free
speech and the right to life. Those rights are actively threatened by
criminals and terrorists. We have a duty and responsibility to help
protect them for our citizens through practical measures. As we consider
how best to do this there will always and inevitably be a balance in
rights. What matters in each case is that the steps are proportionate
and that protections against abuse are effective. [...] The right to
safety and security is [...]fundamental..." (7 September 2005).