[WSIS CS-Plenary] speakers list transmitted to the ITU

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 10 21:16:57 BST 2005

Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:
> It's arguable whether APC with 6 nominated speakers meets CS
> organizations representativeness for this final WSIS show in Tunisia.
I only count four speakers who are involved in APC: Anriette, Njenga,
Concepcion, Brenda. Anriette is listed both for plenary and roundtables,
but as Rik's mail clearly said, will only use one speaking slot each.
APC is a network of _many_ NGOs in all parts of the world and has been a
key civil society facilitator in the whole WSIS process, so I certainly am
fine with them, especially as they bring in a good gender and regional
balance. The fact that their speakers have been nominated by serveral
different caucuses (Internet Governance, Media, Africa, Asia, Telecentres)
shows that they enjoy broad support.

I am especially happy to see Roberto Bissio now on the list for our
opening ceremony speaking slot, instead of Adama Sammassekou from the Mali
government. Roberto has been very active in the WSIS process, and he is a
great speaker. As far as I understand, APC has only _nominated_ him, but
his organization is Instituto del Tercer Mundo.

(Disclaimer: I am _not_ an APC member.)

> Another question is about the country mentioned on the list (last
> column). Could Rik tell us please what its meaning is ?
I think it is just the country where the nominated persons are based.

> Finally, as active CS members, we deserve more than "a short summary
> (one paragraph)" of the communication of "our" representatives, among
> who a big part is unknown even for well initiated WSIS CS participants.
This is a good point, and I really support this. The fact that some of
them are not known even to us WSIS "insiders" is probably due to the fact
that the ITU insisted on "director" level persons, while many of us who
have been very active in the WSIS process are normal members or staff. But
it is certainly good to see more clearly who they are. Last time we even
had a document where somebody had collected pictures of them. I hope the
CS secretariat through CONGO can find the time to do this.

Best, Ralf