[WSIS CS-Plenary] speakers list transmitted to the ITU

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Wed Oct 12 02:22:52 BST 2005

Dear Jean-Louis,

I do understand your frustration and I am pleased to have met you and heared
your interventions in Geneva.

HAving said that, we all know that CS is not one voice but many. This is the
reason we have caucuses. Again, my point why we should have had caucuses at
the least nominate people they feel spoke for their group at the least. I
also agree with the point raised by another person on another note that for
well known influential people in their field, such as Prof Swaminathan (the
father of the Green Revolution in India and very well known for his ICT4D
projects in India, it would not be wise to get his speech vetted by an
armophous group of peoplewith different voices and who are people with the
time and resource to attend PrepCom. For others, maybe I agree with your
point, especially if they appear to speak for their caucus, they should at
least get the caucus point of view.

I understand that you are frustrated with the current process, and I share
many of your sentiments. I also feel that perhaps we could give some
perspective that we are now in the midst of the reshaping of a "new form of
cooperation" not just with governments, but amongst CS.

I think you may want to be involved on the mailing list of the Working
Methods group to get us better organised even though it may appear to be too
late. The whole WSIS process has taken NGO participation in the UN to
another level (not as much as we would have liked) and we should build upon
it. Much ofwhat we learn there could also be used to build on learnings the
Internet community has learnt on how to create some level of legitimacy,
accountability, etc.

I know this does not give you answers but I just thought we could find a way
to tap your points into making the future better, hopefully. Perhaps even
WSIS Tunis.

Regards,
LAina

  _____