[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS speakers from ITU for opening, roundtable and high level panel

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 13 00:23:50 BST 2005

Dear Rik and others from the nomination committee,

on behalf of the WSIS CS Privacy and Security Working Group, I strongly
object to the nomination of a parlamentarian as one of the civil
society speakers. Robert Guerra has raised the issue earlier, but
unfortunately without any reaction by the nomination committee. We can't
seriously accept the inclusion of

Mohanmed Elyes Ben Marzouk

in this list.

He is listed here as "President, Organisation tunisienne des jeunes
médecins sans frontières", but has been appointed to the Tunisian
parliament by the Tunisian President Ben Ali some months ago.

We can't really consider this civil society, can we? And I thought we had
learned from the debate we had over nominating Adama Sammassekou...

I sincerely hope it is not too late yet to change the list accordingly.

Best, Ralf