[WSIS CS-Plenary] CS speakers from ITU for opening, roundtable and high level panel

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.org
Thu Oct 13 02:22:12 BST 2005

Dear Ralf

I share your worries concerning the nomination of a parlementarian as a
Civil Society representative.
In regards to International Public Law, a parlementarian is part of the
govermental body, and therefore
does not belong to Civil Society.
This question should not derail into a political debate, as
it is a general principle of law, and has nothing to do with the
national identity of the person.
In the past, in the PCT group, I fought against the nomination by the
PCT group
of an Italian eurodeputy for the WGIG,
and what is worth for Italians should be worth also for other nationalities.

Concerning Adama Samassékou that I met today at the UNESCO general
conference
( which by the way does not implement so well the WSIS recommendations,
but this is another story... ), he confirmed that he signalled very
early on
that he was very touched and honored by the nominations by some WGs,
but that he could not accept the Civil Society nomination for political
reasons and
 he asked somebody to post his position to the CS plenary, but seemingly
this was not done,
 possibly lost in travels, therefore  creating  a useless debate.
 Adama Samassékou, towards whom I do not hide a very high consideration
and admiration,
 does not occupy actually any governmental position in Mali, he is the head
 of the Academy of African Languages, however he has retained a honorary
quasi-diplomatic
 status, which indeed may create some problems ( like for previous
ministers or presidents ).

Since, it appears that there is an empty slot that becomes currently
available,
It is kindly suggested, that Richard Stallman,  a nominee of the PCT group,
who cannot, by any means, be confused with government...,
and who confirmed that he will go to Tunis; to be reintegrated again on the
list ( possibly after some reshufling ) from which he was removed after
September 30.

Best regards

Francis

> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire
> list. Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for
> specific people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic
> translation of this message!
> _______________________________________
>
> Dear Rik and others from the nomination committee,
>
> on behalf of the WSIS CS Privacy and Security Working Group, I
> strongly object to the nomination of a parlamentarian as one of the civil
> society speakers. Robert Guerra has raised the issue earlier, but
> unfortunately without any reaction by the nomination committee. We
> can't seriously accept the inclusion of
>
> Mohanmed Elyes Ben Marzouk
>
> in this list.
>
> He is listed here as "President, Organisation tunisienne des jeunes
> médecins sans frontières", but has been appointed to the Tunisian
> parliament by the Tunisian President Ben Ali some months ago.
>
> We can't really consider this civil society, can we? And I thought we
> had learned from the debate we had over nominating Adama Sammassekou...
>
> I sincerely hope it is not too late yet to change the list accordingly.
>
> Best, Ralf

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
Associate Publisher
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

ENSTA   Paris, France
KNIS lab.  Director
"Knowledge Networks & Information Society" (KNIS)
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web