[WSIS CS-Plenary] VIVE LES FEMMES

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Thu Oct 13 02:27:06 BST 2005

>[Please note that by using 'REPLY', your
>response goes to the entire list. Kindly use
>individual addresses for responses intended for
>specific people]
>
>Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to
>access automatic translation of this message!
>_______________________________________
>Location, location, location: Vittorio, your 2
>cents worth sells short the issue. I'd want at
>least a quid. Your conclusion is only a
>conclusion, not an analysis. To put it as
>succinctly as possible, in hopes that someone
>educated in feminist studies might be able to
>accomplish this, there is a bit of truth to your
>conclusion. But, let's look at the factors that
>figure into it. First, in patriarchal societies,
>some women will benefit by being outdoing the
>"Old Boys" in their usual function. There also
>will be some progressive voices from men, mostly
>men who have learned from the feminist movement.
>Which should suggest that we should have less
>patriarchy and more feminism, to put this in the
>simplest terms. Although I agree (and have
>experienced the situation) with the situation in
>which men *may* be more progressive on gender
>equality than may be women, it's far more likely
>that women, who are affected especially by
>gender discrimination, will be the more
>important voices when it comes to being "civil
>servants" (?) that are devoted to gender
>justice. So, my money (figuratively speaking)
>continues to be put toward women who continue to
>advance progressive issues and most certainly
>feminist advances, and even more particularly,
>the issues related to women in the Global South,
>where uneven development and gender have to be
>considered together.

I suppose that if you don't accept my
conscious-raising effort, we can always
arm-wrestle to settle the issue. But, please let
me warn you in advance: I am a member of the
Women's Studies faculty at my university;-)

Regards,

Lisa

>Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>

>>I think you will have reached gender parity
>>when you will start to judge civil servants by
>>what they do, rather than by their gender.
>>My two cents,
>

>--
>***********************************
>Christian LAVIGNE
>lavigne at intersculpt.org
>***********************************
>Président de TOILE METISSE
>ONG agréée par l'Agence de la Francophonie
>http://www.toile-metisse.org
>*
>Secrétaire Général d'Ars Mathématica
>Co-fondateur d'INTERSCULPT
>http://www.intersculpt.org
>*
>écrivain & artiste multimedia
>cybersculpteur

Lisa McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mass Communication & Women's Studies
Editor, Feminist Media Studies
Director of Graduate Studies, M.A. Program in Mass Communication
Union for Democratic Communications Representative,
World Summit on the Information Society

Mass Communication
Williams Hall
Miami University-Ohio