[WSIS CS-Plenary] VISAS For Tunisia?

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Thu Oct 13 08:33:24 BST 2005

Adam

Thanks for the information on getting to Tunis. It's been on the site
for some time. Although I am not working at CONGO I recall what was
said on two occasions in civil society meetings by the Executive
Secretariat. In addition to the information below it was noted:

• the network of Tunisian Embassies is not as extensive as the Swiss
network so some people will have to get a visa on arrival or
establish the visa process in their country of origin; (this would
need to be started now)

• there was an advisory not to transit through Paris if it can be
avoided. Although the airport authority, airlines etc. will be
notified of the need for delegates to transit, neither the Tunisian
or Swiss components of the Executive Secretariat have jurisdiction
over these authorities. As we know African travellers (perhaps others
too) in particular do face discrimination when transiting and Paris
airport is notorious for this. Flights for Tunis leave from other
places in Europe - Germany, Italy among them;

We need to hear from CONGO about the individual letters of
invitation. The CSB did emphasise the need for these. Charles Geiger
may have clarification on that now. This clarification could not be
obtained in PrepCom 3 though was raised as early as the orientation
session.

There isn't really any way around having to deal with flights on an
individual basis.

Tracey Naughton

There's a document, "information for participants" <http://
www.itu.int/wsis/documents/doc_multi.asp?lang=en&id=2104|0> that
explains most things.

And a page to check visa requirements (in French) <http://
www.smsitunis2005.tn/plateforme/visa/index.php>

 From the document:

"7    Tunisian visa requirements
7.1    All participants from States for which Tunisian visa
requirements apply will be granted an entry visa free of charge by
the host country, upon application.
7.2    Participants are invited to consult the following web page to
determine whether they are required to obtain a Tunisian entry visa:
http://www.smsitunis2005.tn/plateforme/visa/index.php
7.3    Requests for entry visas should be made to the Tunisian
diplomatic and/or consular representation of the participant's
country of residence. Participants residing in countries in which
Tunisia has no diplomatic and/or consular representation may obtain
their entry visa from the non-resident diplomatic mission responsible
for their country , or, failing this, and exceptionally, upon arrival
at the airport.
7.4    The Tunis Summit pre-registration confirmation letter may be
used as a supporting document when applying for a visa (see Section
C, §1.6, below).
7.5    Questions regarding visas should be sent to the Tunis Summit
Visa Service at the following address:  info.visa at smsitunis2005.tn "

Adam