[WSIS CS-Plenary] reality check - let's get back to summit discussions..

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Thu Oct 13 15:09:36 BST 2005

Robert and Djilali, of course you are correct. The CS-Plenary
shouldn't be used to discuss gender issues. After all, we have
violated protocol around following the official agenda by discussing
this at all. How dare we do so when there actually exists a list and
a past conference that deals with such "marginal" and less-pressing
issues? We really should be discussing issues like internet
governance and speakers at UN conferences like we've been told to
do--you know, things that are important to less than half of the
population of the world. So, after this, I won't contribute to this
gendered thread of the conversation. My apologies for contributing to
taking up so much of your time. It's quite unforgivable for me and
for others not to have recognized by now that WSIS CS-Plenary is not
the place to discuss gender issues, especially now that they are off
of the official intergovernmental agenda.

With irony,
Lisa

--
Lisa McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mass Communication & Women's Studies

Mass Communication
Williams Hall
Miami University-Ohio
Oxford, OH 45056