[WSIS CS-Plenary] Press Liaison at Tunis Summit

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Thu Oct 13 19:52:24 BST 2005

Dear All,

I have been approached by the ITU Media Department and asked if I
would be the Civil Society liaison person at the Summit. They are
getting a lot of requests already for media time, from many civil
society bodies. They feel the need for a person with internal working
knowledge of CS to assist them here.

I replied saying that:

a. I may not be there, but if I am, and if it is agreed, I could
cover the role [this is a voluntary role]

< not said to the ITU - but it depends on the level of trust - who
wants 1000's of bosses or torrents of abuse?>

b. There will likely be debate about this within civil society, a
clear response could take time...

c. There may be another media savvy person from civil society who
would be willing to undertake the role (volunteers pleeeeease)

d. We need clarity on the role (see below for the suggestions I have
run past them)

e. We need clear guidelines on what can happen and be said at both
the media spaces proposed. Those of you who attended Content & Themes
Meetings at PrepCom 3 will recall I reported that we can take up the
ITU offer of a twenty minute portion of the daily hour long ITU Press
Conference. This may be guided by the diplomatic agreement that in
all likelihood will exclude criticism of the host country. [For now
this only my speculation and it's not yet confirmed. It was the
situation in PrepCom 3 under the house rules of the Palais des
Nations]. In addition we can organise media conferences in an open
area (as happened in Geneva).

f. We need to know if there are guidelines for what can be said in
the open media space.

I have raised the imperative of freedom of expression.

I await the ITU response on guidelines and will put the response
before you.

In the meantime I ask for your input on this.

I have to say that WSIS is right now quite low on my rather full
agenda, but I will track this one, but not between Sunday evening and
next Thursday as I will be in the Gobi desert.

Some of you have also approached the CS Secretariat and asked for
media over-passes. I think we will need some guidelines here too. The
media area is a work space, not a lobbying space, though journalists
of course should want to read the pulse and hear a diversity of
views. Previously the ITU have indicated that temporary passes could
be made available for CS people to access journalists by appointment,
but perhaps they would accept another proposal. Of  course, members
of civil society who are media personnel and who are covering the
Summit can apply as Media.

I think the ITU would like a CS liaison person to, among other
things, direct traffic - that is connect journalists to civil society
people who are spokespeople or people with particular expertise.

So please go ahead and comment on this one. I will listen in when not
in the desert.

regards to all

Tracey

suggestions for civil society media liaison person (who would need to
be supported by the CS Secretariat):

- organise speaking slots for civil society in the daily ITU Press
Conference (by caucus?? by issues?  there are many new participating
organisations who may not have orientated to a caucus)

- organise times for civil society press conferences that will happen
in an open area

- review press releases (not to censor but in an editing role for
those who would like that support)

- deliver the press releases to the media area

- make connections between journalists and civil society spokespeople.

Tracey Naughton

(to November 9, 05)

Pact Mongolia Office

Peace Avenue 24