Significant problems of WSIS - Was: Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] themes and speakers

Ronda ronda.netizen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 18:08:00 BST 2005

Thanks Robert for your response.

On 10/15/05, Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org> wrote:
> Ronda:
>
> Though in "theory"  this list is just for that  - well, it is not how
> things have worked out.
>

> A real discussion on "substance" has though, taken place on some of
> the caucus and working group lists.

It's good to hear that there has been some serious discussion on 'substance'
on some of the mailing lists.

> A case in point is the internet
> governance caucus . I would high recommend that you join it, that is,
> if you are keen on the topic.

I have been on the Internet governance caucus. I have tried to follow the
discussion as best as possible though at times it is a bit overwhelming.

I haven't found it encouraging of the needed serious discussion of the
underlying issues as it has been concerned with creating statements
for those who are able to attend the Prepcom meetings, planning
strategy etc.

Also the effort there seems to be how to fix the current situation,
rather than how to figure out what is needed.

Hopefully some way will be found to have the kind of serious online
discussion that the Internet makes possible.

> regards,
>
> Robert
>
> --
> Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
> Managing Director, Privaterra <http://www.privaterra.org>

Ronda

--
Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet
http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook