[WSIS CS-Plenary] Summit CS Media guidelines for comment

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Sat Oct 15 21:11:01 BST 2005

Dear all,

I have received the guidelines for press events, and proposed
operations plan for civil society media liaison from Francine Lambert
at the ITU. Here they are for comment.

Tracey Naughton

15 October 2005 8:26:19 PM:

Dear Tracey,

Many thanks for your response. The function of the person is called
"Media Relations Officer". This is important because the Media
Relations Officer has special access rights and privileges on behalf
of a group. Let me confirm how I see things:
the generally agreed code of conduct for journalists as well as the
standard UN rules should be what guide civil society in what they can
do, say and raise. Essentially this means that the purpose of the
press event should be relevant to the Summit’s agenda and objectives,
should be consistent with the principles found in the Declaration of
Principles of the first phase of the Summit, not contain material
which the authors know or could reasonably be expected to know is
false, or for which they have failed to take reasonable steps to
check the accuracy of their information. While it is understood that
all accredited entities have the right to circulate viewpoints,
critical comments cannot be defamatory.  They should present comment
honestly and fairly and must make facts and opinions clearly
distinguishable, should not misrepresent or suppress relevant facts
and should not distort facts. What this means in practice will be a
judgement call from the Media Relations Officer.
Civil society press conferences in the Media Centre can either be one
slot of 45 minutes or two slots of 20 minutes daily. If two slots are
chosen, they should be back-to-back but the entity, speakers and
topics can be different. The Media Relations Officer books the press
events directly through the Web after consultation with his/her
constituencies to decide who/what.
The way that meetings with the press are organized in the Civil
Society Pavilion (what Sanjay called open area but in fact it is
closed) is up to you, provided the agreed guidelines are also adhered
to. I think there is one maybe two meeting rooms in your Pavilion
which could also be used for press meetings. Please check the layout
of your Pavilion to find out how you may wish to organize.
For distribution of material in the Media Centre, we will provide the
Media Relations Officer with 20 Media Centre Overpasses. These will
be managed by the Media Relations Officer. As they are not
nominative, they can be used by various people as the Media Relations
Officer sees fit. These Overpasses give access to all areas of the
Media Centre except the Working Press Room which is exclusively
accessible by accredited media. These Overpasses can be used to
access the press conference rooms, distribute documents to the media
via the Documentation Service, meet journalists, etc.
The Media Relations Officer is also responsible for ensuring that CS
documentation is compliant with the Document distribution policy.
This policy, applicable to all WSIS paraticipants, will be on the web
this week. We'll send you the link as soon as it is posted. The link
will also be included in the E-Flash going out this week. So it will
be known by all well ahead of the Summit. It should be stressed that
the purpose of this policy is to ensure that all documents that meet
the usual requirements for distribution at UN meetings and summits
will remain available in the various areas foreseen for distribution.
In Geneva, documents were vanishing from the distribution points for
reasons unrelated to availability of stocks and we want to make sure,
as far as we possibly can, that this does not happen in Tunis. While
some civil society might perceive this policy as a way to curtail
their freedom of expression, it should be made very clear to them
that this is, in fact, in their best interest. It will also send a
signal to delegations that as long as documents are consistent with
the policy, political pressure will not prevail.
Based on the feedback from the person who was doing this work in
2003, this is a full time job. I would therefore be cautious about
your doing too many things at a time. If necessary, you act as the
Media Relations Officer and delegate your authority to someone else
who would act on your behalf. But this means you should have full
confidence in that person as officially, it would be you.
Alternatively, you could find a Media Relations Officer to whom you
would provide support, guidance etc based on your time availability
or whenever delicate situations arise.
On your second point, the matter at PrepCom-3 was different because
the Press Conference was booked by ITU and was considered by the UN
Information Service as an ITU-sponsored event and announced as such
to media. In Tunisia however, the Media Relations Office book press
events and take responsibility. That said, making WSIS a Summit on
Tunisia instead of in Tunisia is in my view missing the point. Do you
really believe that negative media coverage (no matter how much) will
have any serious impact on the situation of human rights in Tunisia?
On the other hand, the media would be focusing on this single issue
and would disregard the rest of what WSIS is trying to achieve. To me
it would be losing on a unique opportunity to get ICT for development
at the top of the world's public agenda (the main purpose of the
second phase) and therefore deprive millions of men and women of the
hope that their living condition can improve. But again, this is up
to the collective wisdom of Civil Society. I believe that the Media
Caucus should defend the freedom of expression all over the world and
not only in Tunisia.

Hope I have answered all of your questions. Let me know if you need
anything else. Time is running as no press activities can be
undertaken by civil society until the Media Relations Officer is in
place to coordinate and interface with the Media Service.

Tracey Naughton
Communication for Development Consultant
(to November 9th)
Pact Mongolia Office
Peace Avenue 24
Ulaan Bataar