[WSIS CS-Plenary] Summit CS Media guidelines for comment

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Sat Oct 15 21:35:28 BST 2005

Tracey:

If someone in CS is to perform this role, I would agree it would be
almost 100% full time. Thus, if they are involved in this - it is
likely they won't be able to enjoy and/or participate in the summit
as a whole. To complicate things, with no funding it will a difficult
challenge.

If you weren't doing anything else at the summit, then i'd say - yes
you'd be a good person, but i think you'll be busy ... Thus, either
you get one person to do this full time, or have a team of some sort
do it. My opinion is that a "team" approach would be best. That way,
the task isn't too burdensome for one specific person.

Having heard Francine's comments, my recommendation would be to have
either Philippe or Alejandra from CONGO at WSIS be involved. Funding has
been obtained for them to organize/co-ordinate civil society @ WSIS,
and as such - nothing more important than this press role.

How the CS press team could work, and who would be the designated
"media relations officer" - well, is the tricky question. It's a big
responsibility, one with in fact much power...So, the choice has to
be a neutral one  - the reason i'm suggesting philippe and/or
Alejandra..

As for the a comment on the last paragraph , that of WSIS in Tunisia,
or a summit on Tunisia...well, it all depends on the host country.
For some time the choice has been clear, be true to the Geneva
principles of  freedom of expression and movement  and Human Rights.
If not, the consequences are clear - the media focus will be on
bridging not the digital divide, but the human rights divide that
exists....I will say no more...

regards,

Robert

--