[WSIS CS-Plenary] Shirin Ebadi Nomination - Deadline for supports

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Sun Oct 16 21:47:54 BST 2005

Hi Sylvia,

Yes, we have had this discussion and we appear to have a difference of
opinion.  By including mental health, which as we have discussed includes
all people, not only those with disabilities, it will insure funding and
resources via ICT.

While I can understand your concern, in reality, the allocation of resources
will be determined by parity in funding  and not by perceived
discrimination.  If it is not included in documents, it is usually not
included in funding and in the allocation of often limited resources.

In fact, according to a recent poll by the American Psychological
Association, 87 percent of Americans say that it is the lack of insurance
coverage that most keeps them from seeing a mental health professional, not
stigma or embarrassment.  The same poll revealed that 85 percent of
Americans think that health insurance should cover mental health services.

Please cite the research which shows that making provisions for parity in
access to mental health information and services results in discrimination
against people with psychosocial disabilities.  I would think quite the
opposite.

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies;
UN NGO Committee on Mental Health;
Communications Coordination Committee for the UN