[WSIS CS-Plenary] Speakers - Issues with Ebadi

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Wed Oct 19 13:28:11 BST 2005

Colleagues:

I've taken the liberty of reformatting the earlier message sent by
Chekib so that it reads "better"...(it is below)

I will comment briefly :

1. there are concerns being raised about what the significance is on
being (or not) on a governmental delegation.

Might I add, that many in CS have the priviledge of being invited as
NGO and/or civil society advisors on governmental delegations. This
was done by certain governments to make sure civil society was able
to participate in (listen to and comment on) all the activities at
the prepcom. With numerous sessions being "closed" - it was the only
way CS could in fact know what was going on.

I and many others in CS took up this offer . Might I add that most,
if not all of us were VERY open and clear about our roles. That we
had been invited as advisors to a governmental delegation, but we are
not members of the government.

The outstanding issue is one of transparency - certain people were
quite clear and open as to 1. their background, 3.. their
organization, and 4.. if they are members of parliament of one or
another country - this issues remain unsolved.

2. Dear Chekib , I gather you want to pick a fight with most of the
Civil society at WSIS, right? Your combative style and failure to
recognize that the nomination of speakers can't just come from a very
small and quickly convened selection committee.. It has been clear ,
for about a week now that a very large # of organizations and
individuals are supporting Ms. Ebadi's nomination as opening
speaker . This support, is seen by many as coming from the "plenary"
- "the ultimate decision making body of CS", and as such overrides
any structure that you and your buddies might sit on..

3. The ITU has before it a list of CS's nominations for speakers,
including the one for opening speaker. What issues do we seem to have:

- a nobel peace prize winner : Who some object to.
- 2 Tunisian parliamentarians : Who, unlike others, fail to disclose
the fact they are in fact appointed members of the parliament...

Again - the issue is one of disclosure. Some people are more than
happy to be open, transparent and mention all their affiliations -
others, prefer to hide facts.

In summary -  Some, among us have chosen not to support Ms. Ebadi.
Well, too bad the rest of us could not convince you. Thank you for
your opinions - but, so far , the majority does not seem to back your
view. This decision, i do not think can be taken by consensus.

The larger issue:

It seems the rest of the world is more than happy to give the many
Tunisians that have been involved in the WSIS the right to express
their opinions, to move around freely, and to enjoy basic human
rights.  The question is, as we get closer to the summit - will our
Tunisian hosts extend the same rights to the rest of us....many of us
doubt that...

regards,

Robert